non-diver to DM? is it worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

musclechet

Registered
Reaction score
im an indian. im 43 and fit and healthy. actually i was a bodybuilder and a computer h/w engineer by profession. i wanna change my profession and become a DM. ive contacted a scuba training club in Adaman and Nicobar Islands. they told me that its almost 2000 dollars for the complete package including stay and food till i become a DM.
they said that they will offer me an internship with 450 dollars and accomadation after i finish my course.
as im new to this field and still doing my research is it worth. is there still scope in diving.

To be a legitimate DM, you need experience not just one course. Try taking a Discover SCUBA class and see how you like it! Or if you're already a diver (which I didn't get the impression from your post) then just dive more and get a good bit of experience under your belt. Happy diving!

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

thanks for ur reply. im not a diver . this is my first post. i want to take up a diving course . if i become a DM will it pay me off later. can u suggest a good course or what shud i be look out for. after completion of the course will i get hired. considering the amount that i will be paying for the course is a pretty lot. are there good job oppurtunities. as im a beginner i dont expect a top salary just the basic. im asking this is because i dont want to loose my hard earned money . i must be able to atleast earn it back

Learn to dive first and dont even think about being a DM for a couple of years - you need experience to lead others.

Dont know about your part of the world but most people do DM for the opportunity to dive more rather than making a decent living out of it.

Tapatalk 2

I totally agree with BlueDevil. First, you need to become certified and make sure you love diving as much as the rest of us. Next, go diving and get some experience. As you do that progress through additional certifications, all that are prerequisites to the divemaster program. By the time you BEGIN the divemaster program I think you should have at least 100 logged non-training dives. If you are loving diving and want to make it a carrer, then proceed to divemaster and probably instructor. Also, know that divemasters and dive instructors who manage to make a living as dive professionals make a modest living at it - generally, a lot less than computer engineers make. I don't want to crush your dream, I hope it is fulfilled. Just do it with an understanding that it will take time to get a professional credential, and even longer to become a competent, hireable professional.
DivemasterDennis

I would not consider DM if you are looking to earn a living, it's a lifestyle choice. Beyond that the best thing you can do is heed the comments above, fall in love with diving and if leading becomes something you passionately want to do then it's a natural choice.

A DM I regularly dive with earns $546 / month plus she has free accommodation at the dive center but very few days off, basically slave labour.

Some DMs get paid a very minimal wage. Most work for free. In any case as a non-diver, you are quite a ways off (in terms of time and money) from being a DM. If diving is interesting to you, you should learn to dive and then go diving. Get as much experience as you can over the course of a couple years in as many varied locations as possible, then reconsider.

Musclechet,
I agree with what others have said.
1) Get experience, nobody needs a DM that is a 90 day wonder. Anyone can take classes, value comes with experience.
2) There's nothing even close to lucrative about it. Consider it a way to manage hobby expenses and not much more
3) Assuming you like diving once you try it be wary of making your passion into your work.

Pete

Last edited:
actually the place where i plan to get certified replied saying that after completion of the course they will give me an internship with $500/mth and accomadation. do u think they can offer me this package or they are just telling as they want me to get enrolled for the diving course.

Back
Top Bottom