Non-diving husband

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband don't dive. He's flying every spare moment. So if I don't want to sit and knit by the fire I'll go diving.

I just informed him that I'm aming to go diving for a week in the autum- I hope a live a board. And since most of my diving friends are men I propaply end up sharing a cabin with another man for a week. No protests - but I guess he knows that's the price for all the long evenings and weekends when he's been flying - and will in the future.

BTW anybody want to go diving in Turkey in September/October 2003??:)

My husband and I took our OW cert together and, at least up until now, we both have the same passion for diving. However, while we love diving we also love doing other sports and activities as well. That's why we are thinking :idea: about a sailing holiday (currently I'm thinking about the grenadines) with one or two other couples so we could do some dives (not every day) but also go 'island hopping' and enjoy other activities. At least that's the idea. I still have yet to find a crewed charter with a dive master and other couples that would go with us. :( And, cost is another issue. BTW - we are also in NYC.

Somebody deleted my post and Michelle28's comment, their censorship on this board?

Whats up!

I have seen a couple of write-ups in the UK diving press about Island hopping liveaboards designed for mixed diving/non-diving groups that would be perfect. You go somewhere like the carribean or maldives and as the boat cruises around between the Islands it sends the divers off in a zodiac, then anchors up in a nice bay for non-divers to go snorkelling or sight-seeing.

This type of thing could be doubly good for your situation as although he will not be forced to dive, the option will be there and with a mixture of divers and non-divers on-board he will get an idea of what he is missing under-water without having to feel that he has to dive, I would imagine it would be difficult for a certified but reluctant diver to pass a week without getting the urge.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
Im lucky that my wife loves to dive but I don't love to ride horses. So my wife does what all married women do when they want their husband to willingly participate in something they like.

Withhold sex.

Ummm...not ALL wifes do that, right? :( LOL

But I'm lucky, the love of my life is also an avid diver.

But for you problems, a compramise is the only way. Relationships are full of them, it should be no different in this case.

We recently chartered a sailboat from the Moorings in the British Virgin Islands. It was an awesome trip and the boat plus hotels at either end only cost about $800 per person - about the same as a dive trip. Tanks were extra.

This way you get accommodation, transport, dive platform and dining facilities all in one bundle and you get to dive where and when you want.

To make it economical (and more fun) you need to sail it yourself but, if you don't have big boat experience already, for little more than the price of a skipper on one trip US Sailing do a series of courses that will qualify you to bareboat charter.

There are some pictures in this thread.

Michelle,
It is a radical solution but my wife was at best neutral about diving until she got her own gear. Being familiar with the kit and comfortable in the water has transformed the experience for her. Now its "when is our next dive trip?" rather than "when is our next vacation?".

Given that most men are gear-freaks anyway, new toys should work even better the other way round.......

My husband is also a non-diver. He's certified OW but we've gone a few times together with disasterous results. The last time we went he passed out underwater and I ended up having to surface him, give rescue breathing, and pull him to the shore! Let's just say he's not going ever again. Bottom line is if your hubby or wife is uncomfortable diving don't force the issue! You could lose a lot more than a day of diving.

Grajan,

I just saw your posting. Thanks for the information. It sounds great. It's nice to get some feedback from someone who's done it. Did you have a dive master on board or did you do it solo? I take it from your posting that you sailed it yourself. I have no sailing experience, although we want to learn. I still think a skipper and crew may be better for us the first time at least. Thanks for the links. I will definetly look into it. :)

Get a new one! I'll volunteer if no one else does. :)

Glad you found it a help. If you need a skipper I think it is normally just the one person and you provide the crew. The boats are VERY easy to sail and the conditions there are generally benign.

As for the divemaster. YUK! Following a DM around is definitely 'last resort' diving for me. I HATE it. This is one of the reasons we have stopped going to Cozumel so often. That being said solo is probably not the right term. I dont dive solo. I am married to a wonderful dive buddy.

We are off to Bonaire in August - same reason - just us diving when WE want at OUR pace (very slow).

If you do decide to go PM us and we will give you some more info.

Back
Top Bottom