Non-Diving PADI specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazed_dolphin

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any dive shops that teaches PADI specialty classes that require no dives such as Project AWARE in the southern Maryland/northern VA area? I live in St Mary county but am willing to go as far as Baltimore or Fairfax. Actually LDS near Solomons is offering a free Project Aware course but so far we don't have enough people.

Can a non-diving specialty be used towards getting PADI Master Diver? Ha ha! That would be SWELL.

Put Another Dollar In strikes again....

Troll Alert

archman:
Can a non-diving specialty be used towards getting PADI Master Diver? Ha ha! That would be SWELL.

Dang, I just saw a thread on this a week or two ago. Seems like it may be possible to get a PADI 'Master Diver' rating without doing any diving. Have to see if I can find the link.

glbirch:
Dang, I just saw a thread on this a week or two ago. Seems like it may be possible to get a PADI 'Master Diver' rating without doing any diving. Have to see if I can find the link.

Lets not forget that you must be RESCUE certified first....which, if done properly, is not a walk in the park.

Otter:
Lets not forget that you must be RESCUE certified first....which, if done properly, is not a walk in the park.

Sorry, I meant the certification itself. From PADI you need OW, AOW, RD and 50 logged dives. But from what I undersood you can get the 'Master Diver' qualification by choosing five specialties that don't require any more dives than that.

Rescue Diver is the only cert I've taken where I've gotten sunburned... most likely from spending almost the entire time floating on the surface. I really wouldn't refer to it in a strict sense as being a "dive" specialty as little diving is actually done. I must be a complete freak to have taken the class four times.

archman:
Rescue Diver is the only cert I've taken where I've gotten sunburned... most likely from spending almost the entire time floating on the surface. I really wouldn't refer to it in a strict sense as being a "dive" specialty as little diving is actually done. I must be a complete freak to have taken the class four times.
... and it involved 6 dives over 2 days...Yes, it was a PADI class. How did you demonstrate bringing an unresponsive diver to the surface or doing a search pattern without diving? I've said before that my rescue class didn't improve my actual dive skills much, but it was definitely a worthwhile class. And it involved diving :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom