Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had angry clients before because I refused to train them. I'll give you two examples.

R..

What I find interesting is that neither of your clients were upset. It was the buddy/person paying for the course/the person who perceived that you were insulting their loved one. Not the person who needed the extra training, because I imagine that you showed them that they DID in fact, need the extra training.

I just question the dads judgement and intelligence, in that he would share his plans with anyone in this PC world we have now, it shows he is a bit out of touch with reality.

Bob

Bob is declared internet winner for the day.

I think it's fine to let your kids practice in the pool under supervision.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Guy walks in a dive shop, wants to share his love of the water with his grandkids, as so many of us did when we "learned" to dive. Dive shop employee (following the rules of the shop, agency, and insurance company) tells gramps that he will kill his kids, and they won't sell him a reg, won't fix his old one, and won't rent him a tank. BOOM!! Gramps walks out all PO'd and goes out and buys a $45,000 bass boat. We've lost a certified diver forever, and 3 potentials because of our modern attitude to scuba. . . .

Gramps might discover that not only is it no longer 1975 in the scuba universe, but that it's no longer 1975 in the power boating universe either. There are cops on the water who ticket drunk boaters now. Those darn deaths and resulting lawsuits and regulations sure have taken the fun out of scuba, boating, etc.

What I find interesting is that neither of your clients were upset. It was the buddy/person paying for the course/the person who perceived that you were insulting their loved one. Not the person who needed the extra training, because I imagine that you showed them that they DID in fact, need the extra training.

True, and in fact I'll go one further. In all the years I've been doing this I've never had a client fundamentally disagree with my advice. It's always the bystanders who have issues. Parents of children are the worst. They almost always over-estimate how good their kids are and find it difficult to listen to frank and honest feedback.

R..

Gramps might discover that not only is it no longer 1975 in the scuba universe, but that it's no longer 1975 in the power boating universe either. There are cops on the water who ticket drunk boaters now. Those darn deaths and resulting lawsuits and regulations sure have taken the fun out of scuba, boating, etc.

I don't think anyone implied that we should be scuba diving drunk.

I don't think anyone implied that we should be scuba diving drunk.

Whether it's boating under the influence or putting your kids on scuba in a pool, I think the world has moved on--for the better.

Getting a shared understanding is the challenge. How to build a consensus when people may not be listening or interested in your opinion? Sometimes you need to turn up the volume...

A month ago - I was teaching a grandpa (78 years old) doing specialties to finish his Master Scuba Diver cert. He was adamant that taking his 13 year old grandson down to 130 feet in Cozumel was no problem. He didn't see any rules to the contrary. And, it was going to cause logistical problems for his vacation if the grandson couldn't do those dives. Stubborn old fella - but fun! :)

I showed him the depth limitations for Jr. Open Water Divers in the Instructor Manual - and also explained WHY those limits existed. We discussed examples of adults who had panicked and done the wrong thing. I asked him if he wanted to put his grandson in the position where his life may depend upon successfully executing his Open Water skills. We talked about the Father / Son fatality at Eagles Nest. And, I pointed out that I had just come from the wake of a 13 year old - and there was nothing sadder than seeing a child in a casket.

It was a bit of a harsh message - but I wanted Grandpa to be fully informed before he made choices that could impact the health of a minor under his supervision. Grandpa told me he worked with the charter to find shallower dive sites, and arranged for a DM to lead their dives. We all felt better.

Then asked to rent a tank so that he could try to get his non functioning regulator working again. At this point knowing his intentions, we refused. Kind of a gray area, since he was a certified diver, but with knowing what he wanted to do,... it was decided that we could not risk the liability.

Do you think you and the shop might still have a liability, given your professional status and knowledge, for your failure to report this incident to Child Protective Services? Was it enough to simply deny him the rental?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom