Noob Seeking Wetsuit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobbear

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am a rank noob (getting cert this weekend) and have a question about what to look for in a wetsuit. My diving will be in 70+ water in springs and warmer in south Florida. I'm not sure what thickness to get. I don't get cold easily but do want to be comfortable. My girlfriend suggested that I get a 3mm wetsuit and skins. Does this sound ok? Any particular brands/models come to mind? I don't want to cheap out but i don't want to break the bank either.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Forget the skin, that has no real value.

For Florida Springs I was comfortable in my 5mm full suit. A 3mm would have been too light over time. Everyone has a different tolerance to cold.

You say you do well in cold but diving is quite different than topside activity. Immersions draws heat from your body about 25 times faster than air contact. Also when diving, especially as you get the knack of it your activity rate is low and you don't pump out a lot of body heat. Slow chilling over multiple dives will wear you down. There are folks diving all weights of suit in that environment including trunks and dry suits. The 5mm I mentioned would be a nice shot down the middle as a first suit. It's one you are sure to get loads of use from down the road. I am partial to my Bare Velocity.

Pete

I agree that a 3 mm isn't nearly enough protection. A 5 mm would probably suit you well if you say you can tolerate cold. It's a personal preference. You may want to rent a full 3 mm, 5 mm, and 7 mm and see which one you are most comfortable in. It also depends how many times a day you will dive. If you are doing 2 dives a day once in a while a 5 mm will probably be adequate. The more dives a day you do, the faster you get cold in progressive dives. If you are doing 3-4 dives a day you may need a 7 mm by the end of the day.

Many folks find a 3mm fine for the 72° springs around High Springs & south. When you get up to the Marianna/Cypress/Morrison/Vortex area they're down to 68° and almost everyone uses a minimum 5mm.
I look at it this way - a 3mm might get you by, but you won't get too warm in a 5mm... so I recommend the 5mm.
The skin is nice in the Gulf in the summer to protect you from jellyfish, and it can make getting the wetsuit on easier - it has no thermal advantages.
Rick

What ever thickness you get, make sure your suit really fits you well, snug everywhere, but not constrictive. I'll add that anything you wear under a wetsuit means there will be more water inside the suit with you -- more water that takes heat directly from your body. If your under-the-suit skin bunches up in places, that extra pocket of space becomes a water pump when you move, which only reduces your insulation more.

Cheers and enjoy diving!

I'm in nothing less than a 7mm for any temp below about 74 but many people are happy in a 5mm.

I second Johny's recommendation, except buy it elsewhere than Leisure pro... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Just kidding!!!

The 5/4 will put 5mm over your chest, and 4mm over amrs/legs. It should be enough for the 70 º water. 4mm over arms and legs will be more flexible, and slightly less warm for the florida diving, yet probably warm enough for the springs diving. 70 degrees and 3mm wetsuit? No thanks...

I guess you could also buy a 3mm full suit and then a 3mm hooded vest to go over it (giving 6mm/3mm when you want it). This option will be more costly though.

In general, like Rick said... You probably won,t get too warm in the 5/4mm while diving in Florida. At least not to the point where it's a problem.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I don't even look at anything other than a 3mm full (Pinnacle Seal) until that water temps drop below 68F. and often grab my 3mm shortie for above 78F. I also know people that prefer their 5mm Jacket w/o legs to a 3 or 5mm full.
But you won't know until you dive them, rent a couple during training and see how it goes

as for good companies Bare, Xcel, My perfered- Pinnacle and many like Henderson

Another vote for the Bare 5/4! Nice suit at a nice price. I bought mine from Divetank.com about 2 years ago. It was ~ $180. I use it for spring diving & gulf diving, I'm fairly cold tolerant and wear it to water temps in the mid 60's. Also have a 3/5 hooded vest and a 7mm Bare Artic. I can mix & match between these three pieces and the only time I've started to feel chilled was a Redondo Beach Canyon dive where we scootered to a max depth of ~ 85', total time was over an hour and the water temp was 52F.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom