North American to European electricity plug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tec02

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought an light that was delivered with a charger that has a North American plug. I need to get an adapter that has a plug that fits with European 220v.
(the charger it selv will work with the different voltage/hz)

Anyone know any online stores where I could get something like that ?

American electrical devices are designed to handle 110 volts of alternating current. Most power outlets in Europe supply 220v - 240v. If you plug a 110v device into a 240v socket, you end up with a bad, smelling, crispy bit of dead device.

You might be lucky. You say the light came with a dual voltage charger. Take a look at the charger to confirm. The electrical specs should be printed somewhere on the charger. It should say something along the lines of 110v - 240v, 50 - 60 Hz. If it says 110v only, you are setting yourelf up for a big kaboom if you plug it in using only an elecrtical plug adaptor. To use such an adaptor you would have to plug it in to a transformer, which will step down the voltage.

Try this source for adapters and convertors:

www.magellans.com

There are others, but I've been very satisfied with the price and service provided by Magellans. If you pay more than 6-8 dollars for one of these, your being ripped off.

raviepoo once bubbled...

You might be lucky. You say the light came with a dual voltage charger. Take a look at the charger to confirm. The electrical specs should be printed somewhere on the charger. It should say something along the lines of 110v - 240v, 50 - 60 Hz. If it says 110v only, you are setting yourelf up for a big kaboom if you plug it in using only an elecrtical plug adaptor. To use such an adaptor you would have to plug it in to a transformer, which will step down the voltage.

Try this source for adapters and convertors:

www.magellans.com

[/B]

Like I wrote, it will work.
Thanks for answering my question as well. I'll check ito ut.

tec02

I don't know where in "Northern Europe" you are, but if the online store idea does not work for you, you could try any international airport if there is one within a reasonable distance from you. There will definitely be some in a shop there.

A travel store that sells suitcases will also usually have some related stuff including plug adapters since this is such a common problem for travellers.

Gerry

gerryw once bubbled...
tec02

I don't know where in "Northern Europe" you are, but if the online store idea does not work for you, you could try any international airport if there is one within a reasonable distance from you. There will definitely be some in a shop there.

Gerry

I need the in/out plug types that are displayed on this site:
http://www.magellans.com/shopping/p...=4&itemID=589&iProductID=589&itemType=PRODUCT

Only something simple, no fancy stuff like that product.
Anyone ?

I was looking at that one, but I couldn't figure out what kind of plug that fitted into that adapter.

Is there any way you can tell if it will fit with with the same kind of pins (two flat/one round) on the plug going in to the adapter as the model on the link I posted earlier ?

(http://www.magellans.com/jump.jsp?itemID=589&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=589)

I really appreciate your help.

The plug you are describing is an American, grounded plug. It's two parallel pins with a round pin below, centered between them. The three pins make a triangle, right?

That will fit into the female end of the adapter. The male end goes into your wall outlet. The female end will also take a UK grounded plug, and several other types of plugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom