North Carolina Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looks like I'm being sent to Monroe, NC for some training in August. I have the option of staying a couple of extra days to do some diving if I want.

How far is any diving from Monroe? Is it worth staying a couple of days extra?

Thanks,

Brian

You might get better response from this if you have it moved to the NC Wreck divers forum rather than here, but I'll tell you that you will only by 25 miles or so from Charlotte and I do a lot of diving with the NCDivers.com who also post under the NC Wreck Divers on SB. There is always a willing group to go out and dive with you and they are just a great group. Very friendly and good quality of divers ther as well. THe diving you get to do may not be world class, but the people you would get to meet and hang out with usually are.

If you get a chance you should at least do a little meet and greet with them and some of the quarries can be entertaining.

If you let us know when you are coming in we will probably already have a group thing going on that you can tag along for, hope to see you there.

Paula

Thanks for the help.

I'll ask to have the thread moved to the NC Wreck Divers forum.

Looks like it will be the week of 8/21, but will confirm that as it gets closer.

Thanks

Brian

If you will be here in August, my suggestion is head to the coast for a couple of days and dive there. If you need some suggestions PM me and I can give you a couple names of operators.

Monroe is about 4 1/2 hr drive from Wilmington. There are several good dive ops in the area. We get blowen out fairly often so backup plans are a good idea. There are several historical sites around Wilmington that make good alternative options. Drop by the NC divers board when your plans firm up some. There is a good chance one or more of us could join you if you need a buddy.
www.ncdivers.com

Thanks for the help everyone!

Right now it looks like I may have a couple of friends coming out to meet me after my meetings and we may make the long drive to Morehead City to dive the U-352, Papoose, etc over a couple of days. Then drive back to Raleigh and fly out from there.

I know it's a long drive (5.5 hrs plus is what I'm told), but I figure it's probably the only time I'll be back there.

Is that unrealistic to attempt?

It's quite do-able but you need to book early, weekend dives book way in advance here, esp if you have a particular wreck in mind. My LDS already has some summer charters filling up. I would suggest you add a couple of days to your schedule if you can, being blown out is common. If you can add a couple of days your chances increase. At times we have 6 ft seas one day and glass slick the next. Seasick meds are highly recommend, it's not uncommon to see 1/2 to 3/4 of the divers on a boat hanging over the side turning green.
About 2 wrecks/dives a day is about all you can do here. Many of them are long rides off shore - 2 to 3 hrs each way, add in a 1 to 2 hr SI and it's a long day. Two in the morning and 2 in the afternoon is not really an option except for some of the close in wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom