North Carolina Shark Tooth Fossil Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i mate on the boat spearit and you can still find trips with us thougt outer banks diving or maybe poseidon adventures in delware or email capt. tom collins @ spearitcharters.com.

My take on a certain six-pack outfit operating out of Topsail, NC, which I went out on last year:

Once we got to the dive site, the crew, while friendly enough, was anxious to get people over the side in a hurry and pressured divers to hurry up. This can lead to a diver's being in the water without really being ready to dive.

This diving struck me as almost solo diving. People went over the side singly, dove, and really never had a buddy. Or does "same ocean" count? Some even dove without a pony bottle.

One diver went over the side, missed the anchor line, decided to abort the dive, and waited on the surface aft of the boat while the mate tended to another diver who was preparing to enter the water. THERE WAS NO TAG LINE IN THE WATER. There was also a current running and that diver had to swim hard to get to the tag line when the mate finally threw one out. That tag line should have been in the water before the first diver entered the water.

Divers who ordered nitrox from the captain did not have the opportunity to analyze their mix the next day. Instead they had to rely on the captain's word that the mix was as they ordered. To me this is dangerous, especially since they were diving to depths that could cause an oxtox if the mix is too rich.

I doubt that I'll ever dive with them again. While our search for teeth was reasonably successful, there were just too many little things going on that, if something were to go wrong, could add up to a major incident or accident. I'm not willing to take that risk.

On a lighter note, the captain and crew were very evasive when asked where we were. This told me that they didn't want anyone to know where the dive site was. I then decided to figure out where we had been by using time, speed, and direction on the way in. So much for secrets, eh??

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience, but the boat you went out on has one of the best reputations as a charter operator in the region.

Every dive charter that I know of in NC expects divers to be self-sufficient from the time they hit the water until they make it back to the boat. They expect that you are familiar with diving in the region until you tell them (or prove via your actions) otherwise. Six-packs are even more this way than some of the big boats since they tend to attract a particular set of divers. Divers here appreciate that.

Most divers enjoy is being able to dive the way they want to and long as they are not outside normal practices for the region. It's not for everyone, and it sounds like maybe no one explained exactly what you were getting into.

The evasive nature about the location stems from the fact the sites you were visiting are sort of like a trade secret. Captains put a lot of time and effort into locating quality sites From time to time other captains have been know to steal those sites. Most people don't do that kind of stuff, but it happens. The good tooth sites are like trade secrets, if you will.

I'm sorry you had a bad trip. I'm sure there was some room for improvement on all sides. At the same time, some of the things you consider to be problems are considered 'features' by others. The big problem comes when people don't know what to expect.

Every dive op gets some bad reviews, and from time to time they earn them. Spearit has one of the best reputations in the region and my personal experiences with them have always been top shelf.

Good luck with your diving. PM me if you want some other recommendations regarding some dive ops to try. NC diving can be fantastic, but it can also be really really frustrating at times.

Rich

tfsails
As owner/Captain of that certain six-pack outfit you mentioned, I'm not going to bother responding to your allegations, but will stand on my reputation.
There are certain things I'd like to point out to you regarding NC diving and charterboat operations in general;
Most of the dive sites here require run times to get there so Captains set departure times to allow getting there, having 2 dives with sufficient surface interval and getting back to the dock before the afternoon winds start blowing and it gets rough as it often does here late in the day.
Kind of hard to accomplish when the charter group shows up almost ONE hour late and seems to be in no hurry to get going; this might tend to make the crew want to get things moving.
Most of the charterboats use a "Carolina Rig" system of down lines to help divers get to the anchor line in currents. I don't normally put a tag line out as I find it much more effective to throw it to the general location of a diver and they are expected to swim to it. Divers don't normally end up far behind the boat when they follow the crew's instructions and go to the ladder to board the boat.
Alot of the diving done here does seem to be almost solo diving, especially the tooth diving, which is the way most of my divers prefer it. They are prepared with reels and other equipment they feel is necessary for the dives.
Concerning analyzing nitrox tanks at the dock, most dive professionals, such as you claim to be, have their own analyzer with them and arrive in plenty of time to do this.

It is absolutely your right to not want to go out with me, just as it is mine to ensure you don't, since I remember exactly who you are, your club, and I had discussed this matter with the shop you chartered thru after your trip.
BTW another little piece of information about charter Captains, when someone is too interested in exact locations, we tend to vary courses and speeds. Amazing how much it will throw a "Dead Reckoning" plot off by just changing course by 5deg for 5 min.

Anyway...

I was thinking this would be a cool dive to do but the more people talk about it being a "solo" style dive in murky waters tends to make me a little nervous. I've done probably 50-60 dives in Southern California, Hawaii and recently Mexico. So Cal was the worst visibility at about 15 feet. The deepest I went was with a DM in Maui at about 100' for about 10 minutes (The vis was about 150' and I never lost sight of the bottom of the boat. I've never lost my buddy but both of us did lose the other guys we dove with.

Soooo beyond the spare air what does a reasonable person do in murky water to stay safe? Do you Elephant walk/dive with each other... Tie a line to each other... hold hands? Is there a website you guys can point me to and what's up with the "fishing line" reference?

Who said the waters were murky off the coast? Last time I did a meg-tooth dive off the coast, we dropped in and could see divers on the bottom at 110ft.

Visibility certainly varies, but usually during the summer it's excellent. But it'll go to crap real fast when people start digging - but even then, only where they're digging. Outside of the clouds of sand they stir up the vis is still great.

Bring a reel in case you move away from the anchor line.

On a lighter note, the captain and crew were very evasive when asked where we were. This told me that they didn't want anyone to know where the dive site was. I then decided to figure out where we had been by using time, speed, and direction on the way in. So much for secrets, eh??

Ya think????? :confused:

Ya think????? :confused:

Honestly -- keeping the location of sites a secret can sometimes be what puts food on the Captain's plate. The fact that some people can't understand or respect that is frustrating.

Who said the waters were murky off the coast? Last time I did a meg-tooth dive off the coast, we dropped in and could see divers on the bottom at 110ft.

Visibility certainly varies, but usually during the summer it's excellent. But it'll go to crap real fast when people start digging - but even then, only where they're digging. Outside of the clouds of sand they stir up the vis is still great.

Bring a reel in case you move away from the anchor line.
No need to get snipy about it. Jesus it was just a question. The question was about visibility and safety issues. Don't be an @#SS

Wow - I'm sorry, but I don't see anything snipy about SparticleBrane's reply. Was it the "Who said the waters were murky off the coast?" It's a fair question - as I understand it, there's a difference between looking for teeth in a river as opposed to offshore. He followed it up by providing some useful information. I don't see anything that justifies calling him unpleasant names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom