North or South, newish diver advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

School prevents me from going before mid May. Work requires me to use 1 week vacation or lose it before July 1st. So that's my window, but I only started planning a Red Sea trip as my parents are visiting my family in Europe. If this happens, it revolves around their schedule, likely late May.

How much difference does a few weeks really make?

Even though I am new, I am not opposed to more challenging dives, especially if there is anything I can do to prepare. Some things, such as shark attacks, I don't think experience helps.

To: OP

1. South
2. Whatever dive experience you do have will be reinforced and by the end of your first full day of LOB diving you will gave gained confidence beyond your wildest dreams. Seen it over and over on LOB.

My 2psi.

To: OP

1. South
2. Whatever dive experience you do have will be reinforced and by the end of your first full day of LOB diving you will gave gained confidence beyond your wildest dreams. Seen it over and over on LOB.

My 2psi.

If you mean Live Aboard Experience, I just did 20 dives from a Live Aboard. It was a great experience, but I don't see how 1 more full day makes a huge difference.

If you mean Live Aboard Experience, I just did 20 dives from a Live Aboard. It was a great experience, but I don't see how 1 more full day makes a huge difference.

With all respect, you need to slow down and read my post accurately. I said, "by the end of your first full day of LOB diving..." I said nothing about adding an extra day at the end of the trip. That would make no sense whatsoever, as you correctly point out.

Is LOB an abbreviation for something other than "Live aboard"? My first full day of live aboard diving was 6 weeks ago. I agree your post makes no sense.

Is LOB an abbreviation for something other than "Live aboard"? My first full day of live aboard diving was 6 weeks ago. I agree your post makes no sense.

According to the SB search function, "LoB" has been used 180 times to denote a Live Aboard dive vessel, so that is how I am using the abreviation as well. Once you have gained vastly more experience in diving, become a divemaster and an instructor, and spend over 50 years observing many many new divers going through the learning curve of going from mere survival to competent, comfortable watermen and waterwomen, you will understand how a new diver's first full day on a live aboard doing 4 or 5 dives creates immense confidence in their own abilities and comfort level in the water. When you reach that stage in your diving career, my post will make sense to you. I guarantee it. :)

cc: @Sam Miller III

According to the SB search function, "LoB" has been used 180 times to denote a Live Aboard dive vessel, so that is how I am using the abreviation as well. Once you have gained vastly more experience in diving, become a divemaster and an instructor, and spend over 50 years observing many many new divers going through the learning curve of going from mere survival to competent, comfortable watermen and waterwomen, you will understand how a new diver's first full day on a live aboard doing 4 or 5 dives creates immense confidence in their own abilities and comfort level in the water. When you reach that stage in your diving career, my post will make sense to you. I guarantee it. :)

cc: @Sam Miller III

I don't question your experience or your point - my first day doing 5 dives from a liveaboard was an incredible experience, did create immense confidence, and certainly helped me with the next 20 dives I did.

When I am a divemaster, an instructor and spent over 50 years observing (in the unlikely event I live that long) I will look back at your post and let you know if it makes sense. So far, not so much.

Also, to not become even more confused, I think a clarification of what people refer to when they casually throw out "South" or "North" would be in its place.
"South" is generally from Marsa Alam and southward, e.g Wadi Gimal, Fury Shoal, Ras Banas, Rocky Island, Zabargad and the St Johns Group.
"North" is Sinai with Ras Mohamed Marine Park, Thistlegorm (and a few others), the Strait of Tiran, Hurghada and Abu Nuhas, Safaga, El Quesir, Brother Islands and down to Marsa Alam. Elphinstone and Dedalus (latter is far off shore) pretty much straight in the middle.
And when taking the entire Red Sea in, ALL of Egypt is the Northern Red Sea. The southern Red Sea is Eritrea, Djibouti and Yemen. Central Red Sea encompass Saudi and Sudan. They take a little or a lot more effort to visit compoared to Egypt. Only Sudan and Djibouti that really have sufficient infrastructure for serious divers and Yemen right know... a war zone. In the far north, Gulf of Aquba where Jordan has diving as well as Israel in the town of Eilat. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Also, to not become even more confused, I think a clarification of what people refer to when they casually throw out "South" or "North" would be in its place.
"South" is generally from Marsa Alam and southward, e.g Wadi Gimal, Fury Shoal, Ras Banas, Rocky Island, Zabargad and the St Johns Group.
"North" is Sinai with Ras Mohamed Marine Park, Thistlegorm (and a few others), the Strait of Tiran, Hurghada and Abu Nuhas, Safaga, El Quesir, Brother Islands and down to Marsa Alam. Elphinstone and Dedalus (latter is far off shore) pretty much straight in the middle.
And when taking the entire Red Sea in, ALL of Egypt is the Northern Red Sea. The southern Red Sea is Eritrea, Djibouti and Yemen. Central Red Sea encompass Saudi and Sudan. They take a little or a lot more effort to visit compoared to Egypt. Only Sudan and Djibouti that really have sufficient infrastructure for serious divers and Yemen right know... a war zone. In the far north, Gulf of Aquba where Jordan has diving as well as Israel in the town of Eilat. I hope I didn't confuse you.

This is a good point. When I said "North" vs "South", it was because most liveaboards use those terms. Starting from Ohio, the entire Red Sea is South, and so is anywhere else I'd want to dive. If I go South beyond Egypt, it won't be on this trip. Discussion of specific dive sites, such as Fury Shoal or Straits of Tiran is more valuable than general "North" vs "South".

Back
Top Bottom