North Stradbroke Island - Manta Ray Bommie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElmDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As per earlier thread I am currently travelling up the east coast of Australia towards my Taka liveaboard and want to do a few dives on the way. I have been looking into doing a dive at Manta Ray Bommie off of North Stradbroke island east of Brisbane.

Has anyone done it and if so how did people rate it. I here it's a rather shallow site.

Thanking you in advance...

ElmDiver

Haven't looked @ my logbook but it's about 12msw & U should Allso get to see little sharks with spots allover them :wink:
Now the but
I think u have missed the boat so to speek.
Maybe next year

A OZ site to ask more questions would be
www.diveoz.com.au

I don't know what the season is, but I did this dive way back in December 2000. It was one of the most impressive dives I've yet done with 6 large mantas circling the Bommie throughout the entire dive. I stopped counting the sharks at about 25 or so.
My logbook shows a max. depth of 48 feet and a water temp. of 75 degrees F.
The second dive of the day was called Shag Rock, and except for a few sharks the marine life was very limited.
Cheers.

Hey Elm,

I know the instructor on that island personally. I have his addy, and I can ask him to send you an email with some information. He also has his own website... But I seem to have misplaced the URL. I'll ask him about that too if you like. :wink:
I do remember reading that website, the diving in that area is pretty shallow, (but it's all relative ofcourse.), but it's also crawling with manta's. So...
Let me know if you're interested. :D

Ramón.

Thanks for all the info guys...

I got in touch with the guys on North Straddie a couple of weeks ago and the days that I wanted to go out were when the boatman had his days off! I therefore had to pass on the Manta Ray Bommie.

Maybe next trip eh!

ElmDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom