North Sulawesi - Is it safe to Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went there a while back, check out my photos from Bunaken and Lembeh Strait, also shot a few topside. I was there the day of the first democratic election, it was supposed to be mayhem but it was the exact opposite, all activity came to a halt. A friend I met diving did get accosted at gun point, but talked his way out of it. I didn't personally ever feel threatened and had a terrific time, save diving with Sulawesi Dive Quest who almost left me behind and whose services I'd never recommend. I had a great time staying at Lembeh Lodge and Living Colours (Bunaken). Have fun and keep your wits about you, that's the best advice anywhere you go.

Neptune... I give you alot of credit for trying to write in english!!! Keep it up.

Funky...those pictures are incredible. If that's just a sample of what's there, I can't wait to get there!!!!

Now that the relative safety of North Sulawesi has been established, be prepared to enjoy the experience. You'll want to decide about staying in one of the Lembeh Straits accomodations or nearer Bunaken or, time permitting, BOTH. If you like reef and wall diving, there's plenty around Bunaken to keep you satisfies and even several modest muck dives. But if you're into macro, Lembeh is one of the premier locations in the world. Have a nice time. Sort of in between Bunaken and Lembeh is Machico Point which is often dived in conjunction with Banka; it's pristine, dont' miss it. TB

or, if you don't mind a fairly primitive, but basic and comfortable live aboard, catch the Serenade out of Manado, for a 6-7 day trip to the northern islands, and work your way back to Banka/Manado, for some incredible reefs.

Sorry for the late reply
I was in Manado 3 weeks ago. No problem at all. I have not stayed in town, but you won't neither will you? Diving resorts are perfectly quiet, no worry. And divers are always as friendly as usual.

I will be in Dongala (1h30 from Palu, Central Sulawesi) in 10 days. I am not aware of any diving spot in Palu itself. I made contact with my good friends there and they have not mentioned anything bad neither.

I leave all year long in Indonesia. I feel safe here, safer than in big European cities.
Few tips: stay neutral in your look, speach and behaviour, and don't go with the crowd....and smile, it opens doors.

Anyway, there is no safe place on earth anymore, and no one knows about tomorrow...so, I'd rather be underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom