Northern RA versus Misool in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've already booked, but perhaps for the next booking... When I booked for Komodo, I did it through PADI Travel, which includes free Dive Assure insurance if the liveaboard trip is over $1000 USD.

And with PADI Travel categorized as a travel merchant, I got bonus points for travel with my credit card (3X). :)

@Satto95 I was initially interested in the Empress for their Raja South itinerary and their budget price point. I read a lot of good reviews but then found out that there is only 1 bathroom for 8 divers (I could be wrong, please correct me). Having been in Indonesia over a month, and seeing and hearing other divers having trouble with stomach issues, I decided against the Empress. They have a great deal going for sure but since I have been traveling for several months in SE Asia I decided that if I am going for a liveaboard in Raja, I want opt for an ensuite bathroom. Definitely depends on your preference. I could be wrong about the 1 bathroom, but could swear I read it 2 places online. The Empress is running week trips to Komodo in May for 1K!!!

I was looking at the KLM Mari as a second choice and happened upon Dive Zone dive shop on Gili Air just last week. I told them about my interest in Raja on the Mari and turns out they had been on the Mari recently in Komodo. They had nothing but great things to say about the whole experience. I booked on the Mari the same day.

I booked on liveaboard.com and it seems the Mari, Empress and Pearl of Papua are all within a couple hundred dollars of each other, I think the POP does the most dives. I think Lady Denok goes to South RA for 8 days for around $2600 end of April.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about RA from everyone I come across traveling as well as here on ScubaBoard. I say go! If you fly through Makassar, there is a cheap hotel at the airport for the layover on the way to Sorong!

I might cancel Mermaid and do the Empress. The deal is just too good. And they have very good reviews. Sure it's only 5 days but that's what day trips are for.

Anyone on this thread have anything to say about the Empress? I know it used to be a tech boat in Malaysia but that's no longer the case. I'd like to know if you or someone you know has been on their liveaboard recently.

Anyone on this thread have anything to say about the Empress? I know it used to be a tech boat in Malaysia but that's no longer the case. I'd like to know if you or someone you know has been on their liveaboard recently.
I am headed to RA in a few days, will ask around on the boat. Will ask tomorrow when I go diving here in Amed as well, let you know if I can find out anything.

I might cancel Mermaid and do the Empress. The deal is just too good. And they have very good reviews. Sure it's only 5 days but that's what day trips are for.

Hello,
I am also interested in this as well. Did you find out any information?
Thank you~

No kidding! I believe of no free lunch and I get what I pay for in my life.

Post your experience here. I sure like to know.

@Mermaid Stacy How was KLM Mari? We’re booked for December but I’m hearing some mixed reviews...
@emanyueru my apologies for the super delayed response. I enjoyed my time on the KLM Mari. I will give you a quick rundown. I went on the Mari in mid April 2018, to Central R4.

Pick up from the hotel in Sorong was right on schedule and transfer to the boat was easy and safe. I was welcomed to my cabin (the bunk bed budget) by Holger. After everyone arrived we started our departure from Sorong, over night to the first dive spot. There was no briefing really, just get to know everyone and relax. The bunk was comfortable and there were hot water showers, an amazing luxury on a budget boat. Every cabin had a shower, so great! The crew cleaned the cabin every day.

The dive briefings were short and sweet. There was plenty of room in back of the boat for everyone's dive equipment, plenty of room to hang wetsuits, etc. The only thing that was lacking was a dedicated camera station/charging station. We had two serious photographers on the boat and they had some troubles regarding where to keep there rigs, think they kept them in their rooms. Minimal fresh water in rinse tanks, but sufficient. After the last dive of the trip, the crew did a good job of properly rinsing all equipment.

The dives were generally an hour, groups of 3 - 5 divers per guide. Guides were good, relaxed, they would point out what people requested, 3-4 dives a day. Night dives were awesome, lots of wobbegongs and epaulette sharks at night, not to be missed, hot shower afterwards was ace!

The guides were careful with our dive gear and cameras, and patient with divers always forgetting stuff. You will be diving from two little tenders. Current did rip hard on several dives, reef hook is a must have, make sure to bring a surface marker as well. Some divers were separated from our group due to strong current and had to end the dive and surface. They did not have surface markers but were picked up fine by the tender drivers.

On night dives, our guides warned us to be especially careful of local fisherman in and around the islands and docks. Some locals have no regard for divers, be careful when surfacing.

I thought the quality and quantity of the food was great for such a budget boat. I never went hungry, loads of fresh fruit every day.

The boat was spacious with a limit of 8-9 divers, so plenty of space for everyone, tons of fish id books, sun deck, can't think of anything that was lacking tbh.

I would absolutely book another trip on the KLM Mari. It was spacious, safe, fun and with a smaller number of divers, it was just right for me.

Holger is very nice and no nonsense. The crew were all smiles and respectful. The food was good, always a nice rotation of proteins and plenty of fruits. Beer and soda were not included.

Drop off back in Sorong with transfer to the airport was included and very well organized.

If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask, I will get back right away.

Have a wonderful trip, it should be manta time when you are there, we just missed them mid April at the end of their season.

Hello,
I am also interested in this as well. Did you find out any information?
Thank you~
I did not find out any info on the Empress. I did come in contact with the Mermaid II while out in Central R4. Some many divers on that boat it was crazy! It looked very luxury to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom