Northern soul or "idiot's dream?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Dea
It is a shame that people do not travel more and base their preceptions on one-sided media. A lot of countries besides US have achievements and great things to offer. And instead people remain with preconseived notions and miss out on so much.
I'll agree with that....and add that it isn't just a US phenomenon. I've encountered people like that during almost all of my travels.

Originally posted by Dea
Just last week I've heard a woman say "there is no culture in Europe" when a European woman failed to adequatly compliment her new dress.
Standard European joke:
"How is an American different from yogurt? Give it long enough, and eventually the yogurt will have a culture."

Originally posted by Dea
I hope I don't start a cold(or flame war.) in that topic. (because don't quite agree with your logo :) )
:) Just think how it applies to diving.....

Just think how it applies to diving.....

Dunno :) the only image it associates with at the moment is of some trigger happy navy seal... JK

Originally posted by Dea
Dunno :) the only image it associates with at the moment is of some trigger happy navy seal... JK
LOL...that's definitely not me. Think along the lines of contingency planning and awareness. It's a cliche, but "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" makes sense to me. :)

Glad to hear. :)

So, Metridium, you would not have liked to go on any of those icebreakers? (just curious)

Originally posted by Dea
Glad to hear. :)

So, Metridium, you would not have liked to go on any of those icebreakers? (just curious)
That's Northeastwreck's issue, not mine. I wouldn't worry too much about FSU shipping.

OTOH, no one will ever get me on a Tu-154M....

but an AN-124 or even the -225? Heck yeah! :)

You are suspiciously informed for an American :wink:

Planes I am not obsessed about.
But I would love to work on one of those icebreakers! Even the nuclear one. But than again, I would love to ice dive, so you can judge my opinion accordingly :)

(But if to be serious for a moment, Russian icebreakers are good from the point of power, crew knowledge and suitability to those severe conditions.)

Originally posted by Dea
(But if to be serious for a moment, Russian icebreakers are good from the point of power, crew knowledge and suitability to those severe conditions.)
Doubtlessly, though in the Northern Hemisphere I think I'd rather dive Lake Baikal instead....

:)

I could care less about what the media has to say about the FSU. My opinion of FSU equipment is based upon my experiences with it. As stated, it functioned, barely.

As to safety, and in addition to disintegrating aircraft (which I had not heard about), I direct your attention to the wonderful Russian bio-weapons and ICBM facilities and their effect upon the Russian environment. In some cases, the Soviets dumped bio-weapons in open pits, which are now leaching into the ground. Their ICBM's are so rusted that the missles must be deactivated in place because it is unsafe to move them.

My experience with the state of the FSU is not limited to the military. I have represented several U.S. companies during negotiations to establish joint ventures in Russia. I have heard the wonderful promises about a glorious project in the Motherland and the state of Russian technology. I therefore find it curious that the first round of financing usually goes to performing deferred maintenance and upgrading the facilities to marginally liveable conditions.

To ignore the fact that safety and comfort have never been a paramount concern in Soviet design and that Russian infrastructure has been neglected over the years is to ignore history. Doing so when you are in a hostile environment because it is not politically correct to point out deficiencies invites disaster.

I enjoy adventure when I vacation. However, that adventure does not include the adrenaline rush you get when you find out that you can't dive because your ship is malfunctioning.

FWIW, I didn't say that I wouldn't go on a Russian icebreaker. I said that I would think long and hard about it. My analysis would include a review of the ships' credentials, the qualifications of their officers and crew and more information on equipment and accomodations.

Lastly, I don't know any trigger happy navy seals and am, therefore, not sure how to respond. Do you? Alternatively, is your characterization of SEALS based solely upon the media about which you were just complaining?

Back
Top Bottom