Nose bleeds and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Surly Mermaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am one of those people that get winter nose bleeds. Once the air gets cold and dry (which only happens for a day or two down here in the humid South:D) I will have spontaneous nose bleeds. I have seen a doctor previously, he said that it was not abnormal, nor was he too concerned, but he did cauterized one of the vessels in my nose to decrease the frequency. That was 2 or 3 years ago, and I've had maybe 4or 5 since but not bad enough to got back to the dr. With the dry spell we are having I had my first one in over a year today and it was a bad one. I am supposed to go diving tomorrow. I don't usually dive during the winter months cause I'm a warm water weenie, so this unique issue has never presented itself before. Other than a reverse squeeze years ago I have never had a problem with nose bleeds during diving.

I'm trying to find out if others have had this problem and if diving made it worse or if there was no impact.

Look forward to hearing back.

I can't help with the direct question, but if you apply an ice pack to the back of your neck, it seems to stop the nose bleed for some reason. I read that somewhere once, got to try it once on a kid - worked instantly then, even tho I don't see it on any of the top three hits when I google "stop nose bleed." Might get a chemical cold pack and try it; even if it doesn't work, cold is suggested to the nose bridge.

I live in an arid area and run a cold humidifier in my bedroom constantly.

I can't help with the direct question, but if you apply an ice pack to the back of your neck, it seems to stop the nose bleed for some reason. I read that somewhere once, got to try it once on a kid - worked instantly then, even tho I don't see it on any of the top three hits when I google "stop nose bleed." Might get a chemical cold pack and try it; even if it doesn't work, cold is suggested to the nose bridge.

I live in an arid area and run a cold humidifier in my bedroom constantly.

Thanks so much Don. I'll try that next time. I have also heard that spraying a tissue/cotton with Afrin and using that to stop your nose will work too. I just didn't have any Afrin yesterday.

I did my dive today without issue. :D Of course it was in Pompano Beach where the air was plenty humid. I'm one of those freaks that LIKE humid weather. Would prefer to cut my air with a knife and have to chew it before I breathe.... :wink:

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks so much Don. I'll try that next time. I have also heard that spraying a tissue/cotton with Afrin and using that to stop your nose will work too. I just didn't have any Afrin yesterday.

I did my dive today without issue. :D Of course it was in Pompano Beach where the air was plenty humid. I'm one of those freaks that LIKE humid weather. Would prefer to cut my air with a knife and have to chew it before I breathe.... :wink:

Thanks again for your help!
It concerns me that my old trick is not on any of the top three google search hits, and since I only did this once - it doesn't do much for my validity. Cold on the nose bridge seems popular, but you've probly done your own searches already. Full out nose bleeds don't seem to be a common problem, I hardly ever see one even here on the semi-arid high plains, but it seems like they do have potential for serious problems. One caution I did notice was to call 911 at the first sign of dizzines, before you may pass out and bleed dangerously. :11:

Keep checking back on your thread over the next week to see if others with similar problems post and/or our esteemed medical professionals can offer help. :wink:

"...cut my air with a knife and have to chew it before I breathe..." I am sure I have never heard that one before. A rural Florida saying...?? :confused:

It concerns me that my old trick is not on any of the top three google search hits, and since I only did this once - it doesn't do much for my validity. Cold on the nose bridge seems popular, but you've probly done your own searches already. Full out nose bleeds don't seem to be a common problem, I hardly ever see one even here on the semi-arid high plains, but it seems like they do have potential for serious problems. One caution I did notice was to call 911 at the first sign of dizzines, before you may pass out and bleed dangerously. :11:

Keep checking back on your thread over the next week to see if others with similar problems post and/or our esteemed medical professionals can offer help. :wink:

"...cut my air with a knife and have to chew it before I breathe..." I am sure I have never heard that one before. A rural Florida saying...?? :confused:

Thanks again!

Never had any problems with passing out or dizziness, just a bad sinus headache when they happen.

I will keep checking....

.....not a 'common' rural Florida saying, think it is actually a Mermaid original. I was however raised in the back woods of NE Florida....it wasn't quite in the middle of no-where, but you could see the middle of no-where from my parents front porch....Didn't realize I was typing in a country accent ....lol.

I can offer an old cowboy trick. Remove blood stains by soaking in cold water. Used to get quite bloody dehorning, etc. Good luck... :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom