"not a good enough reason"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a climber so I have to ask, isn't James Kirk the guy from Star Trek??

yes
And couldn't they just beam him up??
Kirk,
"I'm not trying to break any records, Spock. I'm doing this because I enjoy it. Not to mention the most important reason for climbing a mountain."

Spock,
"And that is?"

Kirk,
"Because it's there."

When I kayak it is the same thing. I push myself into what many consider stupid risks for one reason and one reason only. I suspect this is true for many deep divers too. It's for the rush.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I can tell you for myself, there is no "rush" that comes from diving deep. And if fact, there is alot of training and preperation that goes into limiting the risks you take. It is, to me anyway, the opposite of an adrenaline sport. So far I have only been to 140 feet. I have a long way to go dive some of the wrecks I want to see.

I have been on dives that curled my hair, no doubt. They were also all shallow dives.

I have surfed, skiied, absieled, and a few other things to get the rush you are talking about, but deep diving is not that way. IMO if you approach that kind of dive with that kind of need or attitude, you probably won't make it to the surface.

But hey, if that is your thing, enjoy it!:)

Aside from the "rush" (and, yes, I think there is a rush involved if you make it back after spending 8 hours in the water doing deco) deep diving has a lot of valuable input for equipment manufacturers and diving science to provide additional (new) data points to validate equipment performance, decompression theories, diving science theories, etc.

Saying that all deep diving is stupid macho crap is as inaccurate a statement as you can make. A properly planned deep dive is a test of deco theories, equipment, diving medicine, logistics, human endurance (physical and mental), etc, etc. Yes the diver's reason may (at worst) be that he/she just want to go deeper to get the badge - but so what. This dive will achieve other benefits in the abovementioned areas.

I still don't get why Ed Hillary climbed Everest? Was there a scientific reason? A noble reason? Was he saving someone? No - he went there because he could and he wanted it so bad that he had to achieve his goal. How is that different to setting a new depth record?

Are you kidding? Is rope jumping climbing?

He most likely jugged the rope he had fixed at the descent.

So jugging isnt climbing. You ever aid climbed? You ever jugged past an overhand while climbing. Yeah, its climbing. Just different forms of climbing.

Nobody talk about climbing free style. Free solo is the correct wrod or free climbing, but free climbing el cap is definitely a smart thing to do for a very skilled climber.

Do you climb?...solo climbing is done quite often. I solo. But I dont free climb. Look up the defintion on google or better yet the Freedom of the Hills or On Rope 1. Free climbing is climbing without ropes and harness. Solo is just climbing alone with out anyone but you are still roped and belayed.

Nobody have even tried to free solo el cap yet.

Yeah, because its illegal

Free climbing is climbing using ropes for safety but not weigting the rope or any gear in the rock.

LOL...........Do you climb?... You just are plain wrong here.

People have been solo climbing for a very long time and it doesn't seem like it have hurt the climbing community much.

How free climbing hurts the climbing community is that the National parks, State parks, BLM area's and private owners dont allow climbing due to the perception of high risk due to no safety nets on a simple slip or loose hold. A few of the State parks and National parks are already requiring harmless with proof of 300,000 to 1 million dollars of insurance just to climb on thier properties. Two of our climbing crags here even closed due to recent injuries.

For who? Dan Osman? Because of his non climbing rope jump? Now I see that you meant Osman. Why is he even relevant to you point about climbing?

Uh, he jumped on a dynamic climbing rope, not a bungie rope. He wore a climbing harness.

I dont believe those words are often used by climbers for the most famous US free soloist like Croft, Bachar, Hersey, Potter and the last guy that free soloed astroman. Hersey died on a route that have been free soloed relatively often.

LOL..........Do you get climbing magazines?.........John Bachar was quoted that "controlled freefalling" is reckless........Which btw, controlled freefalling is what killed Dan.

Do you climb?

Nope.......never tried it. It really really scares me.

But that is a highly personal opinion, isn't it?

When someone goes missing scuba diving, resources are spent trying to recover that person. Engaging in behavior that is outside community standards of safe conduct is wrong precisely because such conduct takes dollars out of my pocket.

kingpatzer, I'll grant you that. That's why I get mad at people who ride motorcycles without helmets. The cost of taking care of their vegetative selves after their accidents generally comes out of other people's pockets.

But diving accidents are usually fatal . . .

When someone goes missing scuba diving, resources are spent trying to recover that person. Engaging in behavior that is outside community standards of safe conduct is wrong precisely because such conduct takes dollars out of my pocket.

Sorry, I am going to disagree. Not with what you said, but it's impact. Kids and adults alike get hurt all the time in the park, playing pickup basketball, skateboarding, cycling, running, hell some people even slip on their way to the bathroom. Ambulances are always going out the parks to bring these people to the hospital. Money is spent on people all the time, so who should set the "community standards"? What are those requirements? Some sports like football are super high risk for injuries, should we outlaw football?

And FWIW I don't think that much money is spent recovering, or even searching for lost divers. Far more is spent on the mundane.

kingpatzer, I'll grant you that. That's why I get mad at people who ride motorcycles without helmets. The cost of taking care of their vegetative selves after their accidents generally comes out of other people's pockets.

But diving accidents are usually fatal . . .

Yeah, the motorcycle guys anger me as well. And not just because of the expense. Maybe we can make a law that you can only ride w/o a helmet if your license states you are DNR in case of a head injury, then society doesn't have to shoulder a larger than normal cost for your recreation.

The other part of that, how little care and respect do you have for your family? Someone I used to work with just died on Superbowl Sunday, motorcycle accident, no helmet. Wife is pregnant with their 3rd.

Some risks are not worth taking IMO. But then again, I don't think we should pass laws for every little thing either. People need to live and decide for themselves what risks they are willing to take.

Northern diver, you are simply incorrect about most everything you write...
Free climbing
Free climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Free solo
Free solo climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some quotes

" Free solo climbing should not be confused with free climbing, in which gear is used for safety in case of a fall, but not to assist the climb"

"The term free climbing is commonly confused with free soloing by non-climbers. This is a type of free climbing where no rope or protective equipment is used for protection, and a fall would clearly be disastrous. In contrast, the vast majority of free climbers will make use of such equipment as a safeguard when climbing at height."

Yes, it is possibly to rope solo, both aid and free.

Solo climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is not illegal to free solo el cap. The 5.12 rating and length is probably the reason that no one have yet done it.

"Free climbing is climbing using ropes for safety but not weigting the rope or any gear in the rock."

LOL...........Do you climb?... You just are plain wrong here.

Are you just trolling? Take a look at my links.

"Do you climb?"

Nope.......never tried it. It really really scares me.

That explaines a lot.

Northern diver, you are simply incorrect about most everything you write...
Free climbing
Free climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So this is your source !!! I wouldnt put too much stock in Wikipedia. IF you climb, I would like to think that you have a copy of the Freedom of the Hills or On Rope. Why not look it up there. I am not going to hijack this post anymore:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom