Not an accident/incident: re safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another good one is HALT: Hungry, Angry, Late, Tired. Any of those will affect your decision making process. Not necessarily a call the dive situation, but something to be aware of.

Substitute appropriate words for HALT, hungover for example :)

Great call @InTheDrink!

Or combine the first two - Hangry 😂

Anything that interferes with your ability to concentrate is a safety risk, regardless of the activity. Diving, driving, and crossing the street all require situational awareness. Emotional distress, physical exhaustion, drugs, alcohol, and physical pain can all take your eye off the ball.

This may not be the appropriate forum for this but a minuscule thought regarding diving and safety.

This morning I was booked in to do my first dive in Sydney, Australia. Rental kit, new location, no big deal.

Whilst getting ready to go to the dive shop I received some quite troubling news from back home (UK).

I went to get a coffee from the cafe and called the dive shop on the way. I told them I was canning the dive as I’d had bad news and I have a rule about diving after receiving bad news. All good.

I went back to the apartment. I’d forgotten my keys. Been here 3 weeks in and out constantly, used keys several hundred times and this time I forgot the keys - my mind must have been drifting on the news I was absorbing.

This could as easily have been me forgetting to turn my tank on or whatever. Something I never, ever do. Like forgetting my keys.

The lesson obviously is that the best accident and incident is the one foreseen and avoided. If you’re head’s not in the right space, maybe dive another day.

Best,
John
Completely agree. My wife and I were scheduled to rent a couple of DPVs for a day and in the morning she didn't feel up to diving. I went down the the dive shop to pay for the rental anyway because it was a last minute cancellation, husband and wife shop, etc.
The owner wouldn't take my money. He said, "You can cancel a dive for any reason at at anytime". We rented them a few days later and all was well.
I try not to make a person feel bad for backing out on a dive. This incident just increased my resolve to do so.
You did the correct thing.

Back
Top Bottom