Not just for women - coffee snob alert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a bodum french press. Great :)
mug-piston-en-inox-double-paroi-35cl-noir-a-lunit-5f4.jpg

I’ve had OK luck with the Aeropress, but I’d rather be putting my dive gear together than screwing around making coffee. I’ll use it when we don’t have power, but I bought another Technivorn Moccamaster so we have one in our travel trailer and one at home.

I’ve had OK luck with the Aeropress, but I’d rather be putting my dive gear together than screwing around making coffee. I’ll use it when we don’t have power, but I bought another Technivorn Moccamaster so we have one in our travel trailer and one at home.
+1 on the Moccamaster. They are stupid expensive, but they do make an exceptional cup of coffee

@Chris H H and @JohnN - I've never had a cup using the Moccamaster. Now I really want to! Is it really significantly better than a French press (my personal favorite)?

@Chris H H and @JohnN - I've never had a cup using the Moccamaster. Now I really want to! Is it really significantly better than a French press (my personal favorite)?

I think the Moccamaster makes a great cup of coffee with minimal effort. Usually, when I'm on a dive trip, I start a pot of coffee and then proceed to getting my gear loaded and assembled to make the boat/dive site. If I have to screw around with a french press or Aeropress, it takes me a lot longer to produce similar volumes of coffee to get me through the day. I have had good luck with the French Press, but they are really messy. The Aeropress requires similar screwing around, but allows you to get eject the little cake directly into the waste/compost pile.
Our first Moccamaster lasted about 9 years, so although the initial price is sort of high, they make up for it with longevity.
I did just pick up a factory refurb for $199 directly from Technivorn USA. You may have to call them, but I had sent the 9yo maker in for repair and it was deemed not repairable.

IMHO absolutely yes. However, unless you're buying whole beans that have been recently roasted, keeping them in sealed containers in the dark (and out of the refrigerator), and grinding them just before brewing (no 'bean banger' grinders), you should invest your time and $$ there first.

@JohnN, I am roasting my own beans - and grinding daily with a ceramic burr grinder (which has been a wonderful and delicious hobby). Just looked at the website where I get my beans and it appears they like the Moccamaster too. I'll have to think about this one!

+1 on the Moccamaster. They are stupid expensive, but they do make an exceptional cup of coffee
I have a mocha master it’s a fine machine handmade in Holland it’s a one switch operation on/off. It’s the only one with a plug that wasn’t Chinese made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom