not sure which lense for sony nex-5 16mm or 18-55?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to buy the nex-5 sometime this week and going between the 16mm lens or the 18-55.

Not sure which is better for underwater? i plan to photograph marine life, reef and also some underwater video.
they are roughly the same price and i think the port for the nauticam housing is around the same also.

can someone tell me the difference for the two for underwater?

and then macro/closeup the 18-55mm?

What would you think would be more versatile, in that i can do a bit of closeup and wide angle with the one lens?

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-1456.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-1632.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-3138.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-3152.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-3210.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-3691.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-3702.jpgNitro,

I would say hands down the 18-55 is where you should start. It is more versatile to me than the 16mm even with the add-on W/A or fisheye adapters.

Diver shot, 16mm with the fisheye adapter and Nauticam 4.33 inch dome, sponge and brain coral 16mm with W/A adapter and same dome port, the others 18-55 with the Nauticam flat port.

Phil Rudin

If you get the 18-55mm lens also consider getting the 67mm diopter holder and a diopter. It can be removed underwater so you can go from shooting wide angle to shooting small subjects. Below is a picture I took in lembeh with 18-55mm and an inon UCL-165 diopter.

xeno-crab by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

I use the 18-55mm with an Inon diopter (67mm - with thanks to Phil for helping me on the configuration). While I have both, it's the lens that gets the most use. The diopter does a fantastic job for macro but takes a bit of practice.

Is the diopter a cheap way to get macro ?

Yes, though the image will not be true macro 1:1. Macro options on the NEX are currently limited, you have a choice of a diopter or a 30mm macro lens and port (which has a very small working distance making true macro hard and a lot more expensive than a diopter). Hopefully this year we will see a 60 or 100mm macro lens.

Byron/Phil
tossing up between the WA versus Fisheye Sony adapters on top of the 16mm? What do you both use? Phil saw your comment on other thread you prefer the WA. Byron?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom