Nothing new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could we possibly have some more details? As alluded to, since it's cloud-hosted, it's unlikely the underlying hardware/VM disappeared and necessitated a restore. Among the remaining options are mistakes in administration causing data loss (been there, done that, it happens) and external breaches (hacker exfiltrating all our account credentials, requiring wipe and restore from before the breach plus fix of the initial problem). I'd like to know that it's not the latter...

it's unlikely the underlying hardware/VM disappeared
... though not actually as unlikely as I'd have assumed.

[Most] Amazon EBS volumes are designed to provided 99.8%-99.9% durability with an AFR of between 0.1% - 0.2%,
(Amazon EBS Features - Amazon Web Services)

That's a one-in-500 to one-in-1000 risk of losing a volume in any given year, which honestly seems like quite a lot. (Though still unlikely to be the cause of any given specific outage.)

This whole situation kind of reminds me of my own mental capacity. I know I did something yesterday, I just can't remember or prove it.

Oh well. I'm not in jail or divorced so all good.

Ah, good, nothing to worry about then. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom