November travel and dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings!
We are hoping to use up lots of frequent flier miles and go to Hawaii for a week in November. Nothing is scheduled yet, but we have been told to go to Kaui because it is so relaxing. Our focus is to see the place (maybe a day trip to Oahu to the memorial) and diving with dolphins. Can you recommend a dive shop that we should contact or maybe another island? We'd prefer the nature and quiet of Kaui to a big city, but again the dolphins are the dream. We've also read that the whales begin their migration in November and that would be amazing to experience.

We're planning on being in Hawaii November 5-12/13. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Seth and Deanne

First off, the inter-island flights are at commercial altitudes -- so you're going to spend a day before each one in no-fly time... with only a week on the islands you're better off picking one and sticking to it.

From what you've said, I think I would suggest Maui. There's a good chance of seeing dolphins, whales and it presents a good compromise on the laid-back island life vs. big city amenities.

There are several operators that will take you whale watching (the channel between Molokai/Lanai and Maui is a prime location for that).

Additionally, the shore diving is great, and the boat diving to Molokini even better.

The "big city" atmosphere really isn't there, but some parts have a resort-ish feel... not sure if that's acceptable to you.

With that in mind, if you pick Maui, I'd suggest staying in Kihei -- it's close to the boat ramp and it has a smalltown-ish feel.

Thank you very much for your advice! We'll look into the diving you suggested!

sethdeanne:
Thank you very much for your advice! We'll look into the diving you suggested!
No problem!

While we're here, I'll drop my ususal "plugs":

For boat dives, your best bet is with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures.
For shore dives and gear rental, see Maui Dreams Dive Co. ( http://www.mauidreamsdiveco.com/ )

Others have their opinions, but those two are the best in the Kihei area! :)

There is a great operation on Oahu called "The Wild Side". The company is owned by a Marine Biologist here on the island that studies the pods of Spinner Dolphins that reside off the island of Oahu.

Her "Wild Side" operation takes people out and as she knows where and when the dolphin pods frequent certain area - she takes you right to them. During the sail out, she explains the behaviors of the dolphins, how to make the most of your experience in the water with them, etc. Just being in the water and hearing the dolphins talk to each other is an amazing experience.

This is one of those trips that I take all my friends & family visiting me here on Oahu to, it is that memorable an experience.

If you decide to spend any time on Oahu - I would definitley recommend this. Although it is not a "dive" excursion - it is an awesome underwater experience.

More info: http://www.sailhawaii.com/swim.html

I'm sure you will enjoy your vacation, whatever you do!

Thank you very much for the input! Friends and family provided so much info about different islands that we couldn't choose... We decided on a cruise, so we'll get a chance to use your recommendations! We are VERY excited and counting down the days! We'll fly into Honolulu on the 4th and the cruise will leave the evening of the 5th. We'll stop for a day in Hilo then continue to Kahului Maui, Kona Hawaii, Nawiliwili Kauai for 2 days and then end back in Honolulu on the 12th leaving on the 13th. It will be tough to pick between land and water activities so we'll do some of each. Looks like some land definites include a bike ride (perhaps a morning bike ride down a volcano), Pearl Harbor, a luau, lava viewing, and a tour to view waterfalls. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom