Now I know why the Pennekamp dive shop is cheaper than anyone else...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had thought it was because they maybe operated a cattle boat, or they offered less service, or their location saved on fuel, etc...

No, the *real reason* the Pennekamp dive shop charges less is because the bloody scuba tanks are NOT included in the trip fee. Yea that's right, you pay for tank rentals separately. Is this (bizarre in my diving experience) listed on their website? No it is not. Should it be listed on their FAQ? Heck yeah it should. I mean, who does this??

So now, factoring in renting tanks, the Pennekamp operator is like $3-8 bucks cheaper than everyone else in Key Largo. However, throw on top the Pennekamp park entrance fee ($4.50 per person), and the cost difference disappears. Needless to say on my next Key Largo trip I will be perusing this fine board for an alternative boat operator. I don't want to have to put up with the park entry fee, finding parking, waiting in lines for the horribly understaffed people to get to me, pay *extra* for tank rentals, blah blah blah. Jeez, I even went mid-week to hopefully avoid seeing a lot of people. I shudder to think what it's like on a weekend in there...

All that said, I liked the boat, the boat crew, and the dive sites were OK. If for some reason I bring my own tanks down (and pull the tank boots off, ugh), I might save a few bucks and go with the Pennekamp dive shop.

FWIW, that is pretty standard in the Florida panhandle. I don't know of any charter in the Pensacola or Destin area that provides tanks.

But I agree that a website should make this clear especially in an area (Keys) where it's pretty standard to include air tanks.

Wait, you have a PhD in marine science, live in FL, but don't own your own diving cylinders? :) Perhaps you're just renting cylinders for students?

Dave

I've used them for the convienence factor while staying in the park and found they run a pretty good operation. I generally dive with Ocean Divers when I am in Key Largo, but I don't dive with them because they have the best price. I like the boats, the way they run the boat and the service I've recieved. They are however more than a couple bucks more than Pennecamp and tanks are also extra. If a facility "doesn't" advertise tanks and wieghts are included, than they probably aren't. A boat ticket is generally a boat ticket. You will find that with most operations.

The Keys get enough local business that I always assume tanks/weights may NOT be included. It usually says what is or is not included for the price.

I also assume the ops all have rental gear...

I don't know of any outfit in the Keys that does Not charge for tanks and weights.

Trtldvr

Of course, nothing is really free. If it's "included" that just means it is priced in upfront. The point here is whether the posted prices are clear about what is or is not included.

Conch Republic is the first place I checked and they list the prices both ways, including and not including tanks/weights. Blue Water Divers does the same.

Which is exactly how I think it should be listed so there is no misunderstanding and allows divers who have their tanks to save a few bucks.

Horizon Divers lists prices including tanks/wts and says "Tanks and weights are free, on these packages."

Sea Dwellers says "$80 plus tax 2-location dive trip including tanks and weights"

(Now you know of a couple of outfits that does Not charge for tanks and weights.)

archman: I've been out with the op in the past, but that was over 18 months ago. At the time, the website clearly indicated that tank rental was extra. If you really like the op otherwise, I'd cut them some slack and use them again. I thought it was a decent operator, the only knock is that they only go to really shallow sites, which is fine some of the time, but not always. If you really did not like the op or want to try other sites, I've had good experiences with the following and would recommend them

Conch Republic
Silent World
Quiescence

We dived with Ocean Divers just a few weeks ago. Mind you, we had a hotel package, but tanks & weights were included. I have my own tanks but sometimes it's nice to not have to lug them around. I chose OD because they will not cancel if there are not a set number of divers on board. As long as there is a buddy team, they will take you out which is exactly what happened to us. We dived Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday & on Wednesday my buddy & I had the whole boat to ourselves!:D

I always find it best to ask and never assume anything.

Most dive boats in south Florida are about the same in price but the little extras is where the difference comes in.

Always place a call to the dive operator and ASK them what they include in their price and what the final total with tax and everything else will come out to.

Things to ask and not assume
- Fee(s) tax + misc fees
- Cancellation policy
- Type of gear you can bring (DPV, CCR)
- Dive locations (Capts choice, divers choice, predetermined)
- Dive durations (Computers vs. Tables)
- Food or beverages provided?
- Is there a head available?
- Is there a fresh water tank avail for cameras?
- Tanks and weights included?
- DM in water with divers?
- DAN O2 available?

Many of the items I've listed above are not mentioned on websites and you'll only find out if YOU ASK.

A couple of other operators that haven't been mentioned but I've enjoyed are:
Amy Slates Dive Resort
Pirate Island Divers
Capt Slates

Hope this helps.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom