Now I know why the Pennekamp dive shop is cheaper than anyone else...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is kinda a funny thread as EVERY op I have dove with in the keys tends to be laid back, and can supply tanks....or not. As many divers can reach NDL on any rec dive in the keys on an al80 its all good. If you r local and want to bring your tanks have at it. If the website does not say there is this thing called a phone.......

BTW Pennecamp is about the same price as the others W/tanks, if you have your own maybe a bit better than most. I have never dove with them so can not comment on the Op.

I like

Conch
Blue Water (have not dove them lately)
Amy Slate
Rainbow Reef

I really can't think of a bad Op down in the largo area.

Researched and edited.

Last edited:
Sorry to go off topic a bit, but what's with the removal of tank boots that a couple people mentioned? They don't let you use your own tanks with boots on them?

Usually they want them removed (or they will remove) is due to the configuration of the cylinder holders. Many dive ops drop the tanks into a PVC type of cylinder holder (or other types) and the boots will not allow them to fit.

BTW: I have a boot on mine. My reason: to (perhaps) prevent me from chasing a rolling tank down a hill, the road, etc.. or at least it will slow it down. :)

Thanks Splitlip and Beachegirl

I put my boots on for the same reasons, so the tanks wouldn't roll around, or dammage the boat deck - I had a boat back then, but had to sell it a few years ago... I miss it so much... uh oh, here come the tears :depressed: lol Anyway, thanks again for the info

I put my boots on for the same reasons, so the tanks wouldn't roll around, or dammage the boat deck - I had a boat back then, but had to sell it a few years ago... I miss it so much... uh oh, here come the tears :depressed: lol Anyway, thanks again for the info

Usually they want them removed (or they will remove) is due to the configuration of the cylinder holders. Many dive ops drop the tanks into a PVC type of cylinder holder (or other types) and the boots will not allow them to fit.

BTW: I have a boot on mine. My reason: to (perhaps) prevent me from chasing a rolling tank down a hill, the road, etc.. or at least it will slow it down. :)

I have seen these roll control bands that seem to work quite well the only drawback is that they don't protect the bottom of the tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312670184.879817.jpg

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

To the op My experience is it is usually around $80-$90 w/tanks or $60-$70 w/out

Weights are ALWAYS provided as they are always on the boat

only 3-8 $ for someone young and strong to actually fill and carry my tank on board,
so my diving pleasure is only pure enjoyment, no hassle, no sweat,
you are right, it is amazing it is that cheap !

HI guys, I am the owner of this shop. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, all valid and studied.

First of all, we a la carte all gear, tanks included. The reason we do this is because roughly a third of our guests are local i.e. Dade, Broward and Monroe. As such they pretty much come fully equipped and would feel a bit put out if they had to pay for something they don't need. That said, I have nothing against other operators who find it necessary to "average" it out to turn a profit. Market economy.

Our policy is to quote two prices to a potential diver-$60 for the trip, $77 with tanks and weights. I will agree the website is a little fuzzy and will be changed ASAP to conform with the "standard".

Again, thanks for the comments. In other news the bare bones trip is now $55 in an effort to address concerns regarding the entrance fee.

Randy

I find it standard for trip with a single price to not include tanks and if it includes tanks 2-3 prices (Bring your own/Air/Nitrox) Reason is if you bring tanks why should you pay same as borrowing tanks, and if you dive nitrox its more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom