Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why wouldn't you just do the recommended deco stop? This isn't a challenge but rather an honest question.

But... point well taken. I shouldn't come off as scolding others for taking risks that I wouldn't. I don't have the experience to back it up with. Only the individual knows their own skill level and risk tolerance. If that person is willing to take and educated and calculated risk then, so moat it be. I think base jumpers and free-solo climbers are nuts but who am I to hold them to my standards? Speaking only for myself though, I'm too much of a process stickler to ignore a recommended stop.

I have no idea. Like I said in a previous post, likely because you don't have the gas. As the joke goes: now you have two problems...
You don't necessarily always have the opportunity to do this. Sometimes you have a maximum run time. you may not be able to easily exceed this due to you deco obligation. Sometimes you need to ascend as a group and board the boat promptly at the end of the safety stop. The ascent at the outside of Manuelita at Cocos is an example after the Tiger Shark episodes. Regardless, other may be intolerant of you having to comply with a deco requirement when nobody else has one.

You don't necessarily always have the opportunity to do this. Sometimes you have a maximum run time. you may not be able to easily exceed this due to you deco obligation. Sometimes you need to ascend as a group and board the boat promptly at the end of the safety stop. The ascent at the outside of Manuelita at Cocos is an example after the Tiger Shark episodes. Regardless, other may be intolerant of you having to comply with a deco requirement when nobody else has one.

I think any op that pulls a diver out of the water with mandatory deco on their DC deserves to be taken out and shot. They're welcome to chew my *ss off afterwards but if they're pulling me out with deco on the clock, AFAIMC they're trying to kill me and it's only fair if I return the favour.

I think any op that pulls a diver out of the water with mandatory deco on their DC deserves to be taken out and shot. They're welcome to chew my *ss off afterwards but if they're pulling me out with deco on the clock, AFAIMC they're trying to kill me and it's only fair if I return the favour.
You're wrong, it' s your planning, you're responsible for it. Nobody is going to pull you from the water for satisfying a deco stop, but they may prevent you from doing an additional dive.

So you find yourself on a LOB running a typical DSAT schedule w/ 40-minute SIs and 4-5 dives a day, and you're wearing a Suunto Zoop, you'll have to start cutting your dives short by day 3 -- or go into mandatory deco by the computer's reckoning while nobody else in your group is anywhere near it.
This not correct. I dive a Suunto Cobra 1 and did 21 dives in 5 1/2 days on Blackbeard's liveaboard and not once did I have to cut any dive short.

Why wouldn't you just do the recommended deco stop? This isn't a challenge but rather an honest question.
Just for clarity, a recommended deco stop is also known as a safety stop, and I know of no computer that will lock you out for omitting a safety stop.

I believe you were referring to omitting a mandatory deco stop. I can think of a few different scenarios where omitting or cutting short a deco stop might be the better option. It basically comes down to weighing risks, and sometimes it’s better to be out of the water. Inadequate gas supply to complete the stop, aggressive wildlife, etc.

And just to be clear, I’m not at all advocating skipping deco stops, when I say I prefer a DC that won’t lock you out. If you completely blow off your stops just for the hell of it, you should not be diving at all. If, however, you need to cut a stop a bit short, is a 24 hour lock out really necessary. If that were to happen on the first day of a LOB trip, that would suck, and I could see the diver deciding to dive on day 2 anyway. In that case, it’s preferable to have a computer that will continue to track what is going on taking recent history into account.

My dislike is mainly around unjustified lockouts and the arbitrary duration of the lockout.

You're wrong, it' s your planning, you're responsible for it. Nobody is going to pull you from the water for satisfying a deco stop, but they may prevent you from doing an additional dive.

I don't get it: so you're saying they will force out of the water, or are you saying they won't?

I don't get it: so you're saying they will force out of the water, or are you saying they won't?
You may or may not have the opportunity, I guess you have not dived under these conditions

Just for clarity, a recommended deco stop is also known as a safety stop, and I know of no computer that will lock you out for omitting a safety stop.

I believe you were referring to omitting a mandatory deco stop. I can think of a few different scenarios where omitting or cutting short a deco stop might be the better option. It basically comes down to weighing risks, and sometimes it’s better to be out of the water. Inadequate gas supply to complete the stop, aggressive wildlife, etc.

And just to be clear, I’m not at all advocating skipping deco stops, when I say I prefer a DC that won’t lock you out. If you completely blow off your stops just for the hell of it, you should not be diving at all. If, however, you need to cut a stop a bit short, is a 24 hour lock out really necessary. If that were to happen on the first day of a LOB trip, that would suck, and I could see the diver deciding to dive on day 2 anyway. In that case, it’s preferable to have a computer that will continue to track what is going on taking recent history into account.

My dislike is mainly around unjustified lockouts and the arbitrary duration of the lockout.
Yes, I mean to be talking about recommended "mandatory" stops. Thanks for pointing that out. And I was getting the impression that we were talking about matters of convenience rather than strictly avoiding more immediate safety issues like running out of gas or aggressive wildlife. But then again, honestly... are we really only talking about serious situations or the more common concern of wasting valuable dive time due to negligent dive planning? That's not directed at you Belzebub. Just an open rhetorical question for others to ask of themselves.

If, however, you need to cut a stop a bit short, is a 24 hour lock out really necessary. If that were to happen on the first day of a LOB trip, that would suck, and I could see the diver deciding to dive on day 2 anyway. In that case, it’s preferable to have a computer that will continue to track what is going on taking recent history into account.

Is a 24 hour lock out really necessary? That's what I'm asking. Keeping with the scenario of having to skip a "mandatory" stop due to a legitimate threat of immanent bodily injury, at what point does the risk of DCS become more of a concern than losing dive time? Again, this is honest inquiry, not a challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom