Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...both computers could sync to the one transmitter.
Ah yes... now that you say it, that should have been common sense.

Of course if the AI tx fails, battery goes TU or whatever, well, then you need a mechanical spg or end the dive. Or have two transmitters. Me, I made it simple for me and chose one side of the fence to get on and it is the non-AI side, lol, :wink:.
That's what I've been thinking. If I wanted to be truely redundant, I'd have to have a mechanical SPG anyway so I'll just keep it simple.

Each to their on. These threads include opinion and that is mine, I much prefer a spg.

Absolutely!. Everyone has their own views/opinions and its good to have so much on this forum which gives so much information and so many choices.

I do not like being flooded with numbers and information, it is distracting from the dive to me without getting into the reliability argument. If somebody wants that function, I would not dissuade them.

James
I personally do not feel a flood of numbers/info since I only see what I requested on my main screen and everything else is logged for later or when I want to see more info.

But I guess that could also be in part that I am also use to advanced sports watches on the surface with tons of features that I do enjoy glancing at.

On reliability I have not had or seen a tx fail but I have read about it. Though im sure I will one day just as I have seen SPGs fail. But like my dive computers, I carry a backup for everything in my kit.
Of course if the AI tx fails, battery goes TU or whatever, well, then you need a mechanical spg or end the dive. Or have two transmitters. Me, I made it simple for me and chose one side of the fence to get on and it is the non-AI side, lol, .
Batteries for most tx's will tell you far before you have a battery issue. But really same goes for a simple single spg, if it fails you end the dive.

AI has not taken over the market. SPG is still by far the preferred method.
I'd say for sure the standard SPG's are more common but not necessarily more preferred. I know almost everyone that I dive with would like AI if they don't have one already but it is an additional expense to get a good setup compared to something way cheaper that works.

If shearwater had an AI package comparable in cost to a good computer and spg I believe there would be a huge shift.

It is neither common nor preferred mode.
Most dive computers in the market are NOT AI.
Speaking with my own experience: Over 90% of my dives were done n SE Asia and most divers(from various countries outside SE Asia) that I met were NOT using AI.

It is neither common nor preferred mode.
Most dive computers in the market are NOT AI.
Speaking with my own experience: Over 90% of my dives were done n SE Asia and most divers(from various countries outside SE Asia) that I met were NOT using AI.
I meant the spg being the more common. It had got lost on my phone editing skills...whoops

Just because more people use a regular spg isnt equal saying that most would prefer it, it's just simply more common.

Most likely more common because it's cheap, available at every dive shop and that there is a crazy number of variations

Something to keep in mind about computers. Every time you open the battery case you risk a cross thread or misaligned o-ring. If the battery floods, they are toast. if you have the shop replace it and do a pressure test to assure the seal, you are spending $40 a year. Plus as others have mentioned, the data cables are another $100.

A sealed rechargeable battery and blue tooth will pay for themselves over time. A computer is a marriage. My Aeris 300ai lasted seven years and it was old when I got it. Neither of the subsequent two computers made it beyond two seasons. one flooded and one had a battery contact issue. I spent the money on a peregrine. Bang for the buck it was a solid investmen.

I meant the spg being the more common. It had got lost on my phone editing skills...whoops

Just because more people use a regular spg isnt equal saying that most would prefer it, it's just simply more common.

Most likely more common because it's cheap, available at every dive shop and that there is a crazy number of variations
Right. I use a regular SPG. I would LOVE to have a perdix with AI. But a mechanical SPG and a peregrine saved me 600 dollars, so here I am.

This past August I had a brand new SPG fail on me. I was trying out a friends Perdix AI and backup SPG. When I turned the tank on both went to the same PSI or close enough around 2911psi. As the dive progressed the SPG never changed from 2911psi. After the dive I turned the tank off and the SPG went to zero....tried it out on another tank to see what it would do,,,It went to full pressure when turned on but would never go down while being used...the Perdix AI performed as expected

Instructor I worked with in FL this week for “intro to flow” told me he’s seen three SPGs just freeze. Two of his and one of a student. I was the first diver he’s worked with who ran just transmitters, but he has no issue with it.

I'm a little surprised by that.
I am, and at the same time I’m not. Cost is a big consideration. Lots of relatively cheap dive computers out there. AI knocks the price way up, especially wireless AI.

I don’t often see instructors talk about or use AI computers, and this can have a big impact on what a diver may choose. In fact, I’ve only ever seen one instructor use wireless AI on a dive. And he was clueless. This was an instructor from another shop. He told his students that the tank pod communicated by Bluetooth.

There are also many that just don’t trust the wireless connection. Some early versions were not quite as reliable today. Mostly those were Suunto versions, but when the story is retold, the brand gets lost and it just becomes a general distrust.

I’ve ever used a non-AI computer (though I have used one with AI off), and don’t really see myself going non-AI in the future. SPG works just fine, I just prefer having everything all in one place. I also don’t bring a paper logbook along, but do log dives. So it’s nice not having to remember starting and ending pressure. Plus, I can look back and see how my air usage varies during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom