NSS-CDS Effectiveness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have zero involvement in any of this, other than a cave diver interested in North Florida springs.

I've seen this pattern work itself out in every recreational hobby I've ever been involved in. In the early days, when an organization is young, there's lots of energy, and a lot of that energy is spent on fairly basic activities. As the membership and *especially* the leadership ages and their skills and interests increase and narrow, the level of activities tend to narrow as well. Eventually, you come to a tipping point: many of the leadership (and maybe even the remaining membership) no longer wants to be involved in more simple, basic activities (either because they're burned out or no longer satisfied with those basics), but the higher level of skill and narrowness of focus keeps new members away. More of the basic and even middle level members drop away, and all that's left are the hard core. At that point, it rapidly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: the only people left are the ones that (knowingly or unknowingly) drove things to be what they are today, and while they might wonder where everyone went, they are unwilling to consider (let alone *do*) the deep changes that might need to be made to change that.

Every dive club I've ever seen has followed that path, in about 10 or so years' time. Larger organizations can take longer, but things focused on recreational hobbies tend to follow that arc.

I see that here in this thread. New (or potentially returning) members want to know, in effect, 'what's in it for *me*, *today*'. Existing members (especially leadership) can point to a long list of accomplishments, and think that this is sufficient to carry them into the future. But for new members, it's not.

Past accomplishments can show that you *have* completed things, and give us confidence that you *will* complete your future objectives. But if you *have* no future objectives...

What's the *next* piece of property that the organization can acquire? Given the success of Cow, that would be a strong rallying cry: "We saved Cow! Now help us save Pig!" Or, what is your schedule for building boardwalks or benches? Or maintaining the ones that are in place? Or your rotating schedule of trash removal and cleanup? Those are the real simple, basic things that beginners to an organization like to see -- and be involved with.

And those are the things that long-time, "experienced" members don't want to do. They feel they 'put in their time'. I won't argue with that. But if you don't have a strategy of constant "beginner" activities, where do you expect a "beginner" to be involved?

Maybe those things are specifically outside of the scope of the organization. Fine. But what are your equivalent base-level projects? That you do on a regular and frequent basis?

No different with outreach. You don't need to be talking to certified cave divers. You don't need to be talking to those already looking for a cave instructor. They've already been sold on your mission: at that point, you're trying to sell them on you, instead of, say NFSA. But that's a zero-sum game: it doesn't grow the pie.

You need to be selling the open-water divers who want an opportunity to dive in beautiful, clear springs -- and don't even live near them. People journey to South Florida to dive in the ocean from all *over* the country. Why not North Florida springs? And how do you get them to experience them? Outreach. Organized events to introduce them. Specific events with specific reasons for them to come.

I'm a full cave diver, but the only reason I went down that path was to become a better wreck diver. I was only interested for the training. That is, until the first time I saw Ginnie Springs. I was gobsmacked: the water was like *air*. I had *never* seen anything even *close* to it in 25 years of diving. And it was only at *that* point that I was the least bit interested in truly becoming a cave diver. And I was actually in a class at that point!

The other thing I see is a lot of pushback against those that state that the organization is not what they want it to be by those in the organization. Even saying how *wrong* that pushback is. Here's the thing: people are stating how they feel. How can that be wrong? Now not everyone is going to be happy all the time. And if your organization is growing, it may not be necessary to change to address an outlier or two.

But, if your organization is *self* *admittedly* falling short, if you *know* you have problems in several areas, why would you ever waste even a single word pushing back against someone who is detailing exactly how you are falling short for them? I would argue that if you are doing so, this clearly points to the real problem: Even in the face of a situation where you *know* your organization is being damaged, you cannot admit to failings. If that's the case, it will never get better.

Anyway, these are my ill-informed thoughts. If you think they are wrong, then they're worth what you paid for them. If you think they don't apply, ignore them. Like @tbone1004, I would love to know what initiatives are planned for the future.

Oh, and one thing specific to NSS-CDS: when there is talk of sloppy money, that's a 100% turn-off for a lot of people, including me. Accountants are cheap, and the process of tracking where money goes is *SIMPLE*: every dollar comes into a bank account, and every dollar out of that bank account is accountable to the person given it. It's incredibly annoying and irritating, but *not* difficult. If an organization that clears 6 figures from an event can't figure that out, well, there are other options...

I’m sort of one of those divers @tmassey was taking about. Recently certified cavern/intro to cave at a low viz former lead/zinc mine in Wisconsin. Did the class for the skills (instructor urged me to do the class for two reasons - skills would translate well to my wreck diving and I get to dive all winter). She mentioned the NSS-CDS to me as the only place to get Caverns Measureless to Man. I joined after ordering the book.

I’m planning on doing full cave next winter, half at the WI mine and half in FL. Yes, I got enough of the bug after class and several post-class mines to want to go further.

You should chair the all-new BOD.

he can't, he's not an active member...

Also, we are still waiting on you to clarify this quote. I am suspecting at this point that you were trying to stroke someone's ego and don't actually see any benefit in the organization since you continue to deflect

If you were not already cave-certified I suspect you would feel differently about the value of the NSS-CDS.

Safe to say with your current criticism you don't look at the CDS web site etc. You can't expect them to come to each forum to spoon feed you, because they don't spend time on all the different forums. When was the last time you dialed into one of their board meeting?

There are effectively two diving forums, this one and CDF. The CDS does not participate in either, nor did they participate in the one they actually had the owner of this forum create for them. Why they chose to start their own instead of a subforum on one that is active and healthy is beyond me, but they let it die. Hell, the announcement for BoD isn't even on their own bloody forum, on their own website, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

On the spoon fed comment though, yeah, we do actually expect them to come spoon feed us. This is the 21st century and if you want to continue to ignore how society consumes information, then you will be left behind. You can't expect everyone to come to you for information, because they won't, especially perspective members. You need to have active social media accounts, Scubaboard, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
The KUR made a post on Instagram earlier this morning that has 124 likes on it and it is nothing more than a picture of Pitkin on a sidemounted RB-80.

The last real Facebook post by the CDS only has 161 likes in 3 days. Why? Because they don't post often enough. The 100% unequivocal worst thing in cave country are Wayne's stickers that say dive more, post less. They should all say Dive More, Post More. The way people consume data is driven by social media and forums. This forum is searchable by Google and is VERY high on their search algorithm list. If you don't post, even those that follow you won't see your data because the algorithms kick it down to the bottom. It is time that the old guard gets their heads out of their a$$'s and starts to understand how this game is played in the 21st century, because they all seem to think it is still 1991, not 2021.

Start spoon feeding, you're already starving as an organization, and if you don't figure out that actively posting is how you gain followers and members, then you are going to starve to death. What I find very ironic though is that you are on the BoD for the NFSA who does an infinitely better job at both community and member outreach than the CDS does. Dive More, Post More

So, you feel they need to take the "out" out of "outreach"? There are really only two major forums out there that really serve cave diving. How hard is it for them (or you) to post here and there?

Personally, I don't understand the corporate antagonism towards using forums. If you truly want to educate us: here we are: A forum by divers for divers. We're the stocked pond of divers. If you want to catch fish, it's probably better to try the stocked pond rather than a much less visited puddle. In fact, one easy way to grow traffic to your or any site is to post here on SB with the site in your signature. Posting links to their website is always and allowed and even encouraged.

You are right the forums have value,but the CDS has the preference to use official channels. Each chair has their preference and respect that. When I was chair I would engage questions on different forums and found them valuable There has been a past history where things on the forums weren't very civil, and promoted good discussion,but that is up to the CDS. Bottom line the CDS does have a mechanism to engage them, and not looking at their formal communication there,will keep you in the dark

My greatest concern is this, at almost every stage of the planning process, we (Elisha, myself, and sometimes our advocates) had to fight with the BOD for approval to spend any money for the conference. We were told we could do whatever we wanted ( which I think was just laziness on the part of the BOD to avoid involvement) but were given very little instruction and NO BUDGET! Every financial decision we made was a fight. Did I mention that we Hosted the most PROFITABLE CONFERENCE IN THE HISTORY OF THE CDS!?! The most profitable conference for a Volunteer organization that was already sitting on over $100,000 in their coffers.

There is a reason for this, although I can understand not wanting to be micromanaged. There was a workshop where the workshop chairman didn't have any oversight. All of sudden we discovered that the speakers from Australia, South Africa, and Mexico were flown on the CDS' dime, and housed. The workshop had a deficit of $39. Not fair to you guys,but it was felt henceforth some type of monitoring was needed to make sure something like that didn't happen again.

You are right the forums have value,but the CDS has the preference to use official channels. Each chair has their preference and respect that. When I was chair I would engage questions on different forums and found them valuable There has been a past history where things on the forums weren't very civil, and promoted good discussion,but that is up to the CDS. Bottom line the CDS does have a mechanism to engage them, and not looking at their formal communication there,will keep you in the dark

Interesting that you focus on the preference of the CDS rather than existing and future members.

The days of controlling the narrative are past. And if you stick to 'formal channels', *you* leave everyone else in the dark. After all, isn't an organization supposed to serve its members' needs, not the other way around?

There are effectively two diving forums, this one and CDF. The CDS does not participate in either, nor did they participate in the one they actually had the owner of this forum create for them. Why they chose to start their own instead of a subforum on one that is active and healthy is beyond me, but they let it die. Hell, the announcement for BoD isn't even on their own bloody forum, on their own website, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

On the spoon fed comment though, yeah, we do actually expect them to come spoon feed us. This is the 21st century and if you want to continue to ignore how society consumes information, then you will be left behind. You can't expect everyone to come to you for information, because they won't, especially perspective members. You need to have active social media accounts, Scubaboard, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
The KUR made a post on Instagram earlier this morning that has 124 likes on it and it is nothing more than a picture of Pitkin on a sidemounted RB-80.

The last real Facebook post by the CDS only has 161 likes in 3 days. Why? Because they don't post often enough. The 100% unequivocal worst thing in cave country are Wayne's stickers that say dive more, post less. They should all say Dive More, Post More. The way people consume data is driven by social media and forums. This forum is searchable by Google and is VERY high on their search algorithm list. If you don't post, even those that follow you won't see your data because the algorithms kick it down to the bottom. It is time that the old guard gets their heads out of their a$$'s and starts to understand how this game is played in the 21st century, because they all seem to think it is still 1991, not 2021.

Start spoon feeding, you're already starving as an organization, and if you don't figure out that actively posting is how you gain followers and members, then you are going to starve to death. What I find very ironic though is that you are on the BoD for the NFSA who does an infinitely better job at both community and member outreach than the CDS does. Dive More, Post More
As Oscar Wilde said, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. So ultimately you did them a favor

Interesting that you focus on the preference of the CDS rather than existing and future members.

The days of controlling the narrative are past. And if you stick to 'formal channels', *you* leave everyone else in the dark. After all, isn't an organization supposed to serve its members' needs, not the other way around?
I am not defending the CDS actions just explaining. I have been a member for 25 years, and a board/chair for 4 of those. There is a history of why they do what they do, but the opportunity to change is possible, that is their decision. I am not in the dark and access formal channels, the information is there for all to see. If you want the CDS to change and have suggestions, then be part of the solution, because great changes with the CDS have occurred this way.

So you're saying that the board is choosing to make like an Ostrich and ignoring how the world communicates in 2021? That is utterly absurd and they should be ashamed of it. No wonder they are dying

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom