NSS-CDS Full Cave: The Live-Blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psst for cave-country area divers: I'm hoping to do the Spiegel on one day this weekend, but I would really be delighted to go back to Peacock on my own time with a buddy. Will happily pay for your fills and park entry to have the pleasure of your company.

You can see the giant arrow pointed out on this picture. Going to the left is the serpentine tunnel.

the mud tunnel jump is probably my favorite section of that cave.

And re being Narked, this cave is one that will surely do that to you. Even on “low flow” days it seems to bring that out in me. I have had bad co2 hit there a couple times. I think it’s just something about the depth phases and the effort need to get through some of the sporty sections.

Adding just a little He really helps me on this dive.

I hope to get there either Friday or Saturday before the flow kicks up and the crowds come back. :)

Attachments

• EF4EB2BF-268B-4AF9-94D7-A140BEDA2214.jpeg
    EF4EB2BF-268B-4AF9-94D7-A140BEDA2214.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 176
Day 9 (Tuesday, July 14)

Reader, the conditions at Little River were not merely fabulous. They were close to the very best that Chris has seen in twelve years of Florida diving. It was so nice, we did guided dives twice.

I’m turning into a fan of same-day repeat dives for these new sites. Dive 1 is purely exploratory, so that I can take in the new cave. What’s it shaped like, how does the water flow, what is the substrate like, etc. Taking in all of these new stimuli is fascinating, but doesn’t do great things for my air consumption while I’m also trying to be a good diver and an attentive buddy. After taking a short break to hydrate and talk about the dive, I feel prepared to capitalize on the prior knowledge and enjoy myself more.

The basin at Little River was incredibly high when we arrived. The clear water from the spring was completely obscured by a layer of tannic water from the Suwannee that was about 3-4’ thick. Aside from jumping the tarp at Ginnie Springs to descend through Devil’s Ear, I haven’t spent much time diving in unsweetened tea before.

We tied off at the stairs and ran the line down to one of the logs across the entrance (visual reference of Marissa Eckert there today, shot beautifully by one of her students). I wasn’t terribly concerned about the tannic on the way in because I was mentally preparing for new cave. However, once I had relaxed on the way out, it got weird. The morning clouds had disappeared and the sun was shining mightily into the tannic, rendering it a brilliant scarlet. Then I hit a warm spot and ewwwww.

One day, I’d like to have dived in a non-aqueous fluid to say I did/have the experience. I am now quite certain that I do not want to go diving in a pool of blood.

Underneath the tannic layer, Little River continues to pump surely (the clarity was excellent), but ever so gently. I was ready for an Ear-type descent of awkwardly muscling myself around, but none of that was necessary. I enjoyed gently drifting down the (surprisingly!) steep passage with ease. It seemed like we had dropped from 20’ to the 90-100’ range in no time at all, even with a stop to clip off bottles around 55’.

We decided to bear left into the mud tunnel, which has abundant rocks across the floor – pulling saves a ton of air, which is helpful for me on Dive #1 at a new site. The passage has a very small slope, but does eventually hit 100-ish feet. On top of the New Cave Energy, I felt a little narked and a little nervous as we headed through a wide passage with low, low ceilings and what felt like a lot of bumps on the floor that narrowed vertical clearance. I dragged out my breathing cycle to the very Zennest calm that I could manage (7 counts in, 10 counts out) to cross it. The cave opened up significantly on the other side, which made me very happy. We managed a few jumps (the last one was just past a triangular plate on the line, if anybody can point that out to me on a map) before turning to head out.

The exit on the first dive was fairly smooth and uneventful. On the second dive (in which we made it past the triangular plate and made a hairpin turn into a wavy passage), the exit was a bit more complicated. I knew that my O2 bottle was going to be light when I picked it up, so I had been dumping air out of both my wing and drysuit in anticipation.

However, I wasn’t quite aggressive enough and had to take some extra, one-handed measures with my elbow and butt as far up into the air as I could manage. To the best of my knowledge, there is no footage of this particular manuever – and thank god! It probably wasn’t pretty. Once I had stabilized, I found a nice scalloped section of wall out of the flow, finished securing my bottle, and had a nice rest-of-trip up into the basin. We had a few minutes of deco and spent it taking photos of one another in the green-to-red transition layer:

View attachment 598445
If you went left at the first Dorf marker, the jump to the left is Harper Tunnel and absolutely beautiful. I’m guessing you went right at that Dorf marker, after which the first jump on the left is the Short Cut jump.

Day 10 (Thursday, July 16) – Part 1

Two corrections for posterity:
  • I know that I said that this week’s goal was to work on my Apprentice+ card, but after yesterday’s rest day and the fact that I have class tonight, I decided that I wanted to spend today and tomorrow playing.
  • I know that I also said that I wanted to avoid Ginnie this week, but… grad school classes tonight. I live in “downtown” High Springs when I’m here and it fit the bill for close, convenient, and home in time for lecture.
So, we went to Ginnie today. Because I’m in play-mode instead of learn-mode, I get to pick the dives and objectives each day. The initial choices that I made were (a) down to the Bone Room and the White Room in the morning and (b) making another attempt to jump from Hill 400 back to Parallel Lines, which has been my LTR bugaboo in this cave.

Today was the kind of day where the plan did not survive first contact with everyone’s favorite enemies, Murphy and his law.

We grabbed a table in the pavilion to study the map, talk through the plan, and to make some estimates about the projected duration of the dive, air consumption, etc. Once we were satisfied with our surface work, we broke out to our individual cars for setup.

I checked my first set of LP85 tanks and to my serious dismay, the tanks had bled in the car overnight and I had 2300 psi left. That fill isn’t adequate for the kind of took-a-few-months-off airhogging that I’m doing this week. When I checked my second set of LP85s, they had cooled off to about 3300 psi – also pretty weak for a cave fill. Fortunately, I couldn’t be assed to take my HP100 tanks out of the car before I drove down to Florida last weekend and they had 3600 psi of EAN31 in them. HP100s have slightly lower capacity than LP85s (5.8 cuft/100 psi vs. 6.4 cuft/100 psi), but it’s close enough to be a stopgap solution.

I decided to use the LP85 tanks for the morning dive because it would be more challenging and I wanted a larger third to dive. After I moved my plate and regs over to the new set, I donned today’s rental drysuit and went down into the water. Three steps away from the bottom, a cold chill ran down my right leg. I jumped back up, unbuckled my belt, and redocked the zipper. I was fine for another five minutes or so, until I dipped my manifold in the water behind me for bubble check and several pints of fresh spring water went cascading down my back. Good morning!

The neck seal on the suit that had seemed to fit in the shop just… didn’t really do the trick in the water. There was a tiny gap against the back of my neck that got much gappier any time that I moved my head. It wasn’t going to be a dry dive at all. Fortunately, I also could not be assed to hang up my Fusion suit in the garage at home before I came to Florida. Chris and Dave graciously waited with my gear while I popped out of the water and switched suits. I have lots of negative feelings about my Fusion for cave-diving, but it did keep us from having to scratch the entire plan.

My mother is going to be terribly disappointed to hear that my slacker housekeeping and organization skills saved the day and that I’m going to treat this as a vindication for the next 31 years following my birthday tomorrow.

I’m the same way, I can’t be bothered to remove my LP85s from my trunk.

Day 10 (Thursday, July 16) – Part 2

Both dives went well, although the second was more successful than the first. The pattern this week is that I don’t have a lot of chill on tap during the first dive and my air consumption is through the roof, and then I calm down on the second dive when I’m better-prepared.

We swam down the spring run and I was astonished to see that conditions were so good that the tarp wasn’t up. Every other time I’ve been here, the river has either been in high flood or there’s been a recent hurricane, so the spring run is protected by a physical barrier. The tannic in the Santa Fe was a super-light tea color, definitely out of spec for any self-respecting Southern sweet tea.

We dropped in through the Ear on both dives, which had been super-challenging for me last year in the Fusion because of the way that the feet inflate. Back at the surface, I had made my peace with the fact that I wasn’t going to be able to put any air into my drysuit until we hit depth. I made peace with the idea that I was going to need some air in my drysuit when we hit the sandy bottom in the middle of the shaft (depth = ??, somebody help me out here!) and felt absolutely corseted.

Instead of aiming directly for the floor, we veered left across a rocky ridge that leads to an alcove that’s out of the flow. Now that I’ve careened headfirst into the Ear somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 times, I feel more confident about my ability to anticipate flow on the way down, manage buoyancy in the current, and not exhaust myself into a huffy and puffy mess before the dive even starts.

We made it almost the entire way to the White Room, probably about 70 feet short. I was blowing a SAC of 1.09 cuft/min in the flow – remember, prior performance is not a guarantee of future/present results. On top of the shortish fill, the final destination was not in the cards. However, I enjoyed myself and got to see some new-to-me cave.

Because I needed to use my HP100 tanks for the second dive, we changed from a destination itinerary to a data-gathering dive. We dropped complex navigation and decided that we would swim up the Hill 400 line as far as I could make it on a third of 1100 psi.

In and out of caves this week, I’ve been pondering why my air consumption has been so abysmal (beyond the lack of cardio training in my life lately). In between the Keyhole and the end of the Cornflakes, it occurred to me that I was thirsty and that this was making heavy breathing really unpleasant. So, I popped my regulator out of my mouth in between breaths and took a good drink. Not having a dry mouth and throat anymore was incredibly relaxing, so I continued to sip away as needed throughout the dive.

(Not entirely sure that I would try this at other dive sites, but I feel pretty good about Ginnie’s water quality because Nestle bottles from the area. Also, my stomach acid has a pH of 1.5-3.5 and I may as well abuse that fact.)

Hydration and relaxation carried us past the 800 foot arrow and what felt like most of the way to 900, which marks my longest penetration into the Devil’s System. I feel especially good that I accomplished this on my lowest-capacity tanks to date. Just think about what I could do if I had been able to go to the gym this spring!

Tomorrow is my birthday! For my treat, Chris and I are going to be heading up to Madison Blue. Assuming conditions are ripe for it, my intention is to practice leading a dive on the Godzilla Circuit in the morning. In the afternoon, Chris will take over leading and we’ll head into some new-to-me territory down the line. This will be my last day of guided diving for the trip. Saturday is a rest day, and I’m booked to snorkel with the manatees at Crystal River.

Q8zAWG7.jpg

40e85c5d-7978-4e74-8013-6d2db682c175

Quick interim update:

The Day 4 post (for Friday) will probably go up on Monday, after I've made the drive home to Chicago.

I sprained my left ankle on Friday night -- my body's reminder to me that 31 constitutes getting old and things hurt, apparently -- when I missed a step in the dark. Unfortunately, this scuttled my plans of diving at Peacock with @Caveeagle on Sunday. All the more reason for another trip back to Florida soon!

(I'm fortunate that it was the left ankle, so that I don't have to drive 1,026 miles using a busted right ankle on the gas pedal...)

That sucks, hopefully we dive next time your are in town.

"Waiting impatiently for more"

This has been on of the best threads on this forum. Sure hope it continues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom