NSS-CDS &/or NACD Memberships,.... what are the benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hopefully this year I'll be completing my Full Cave Certification. The passion is growing strong within me with the more experience I gain. I've been tossing around the idea of joining one or both of these organizations, but have been reluctant to because of feeling still a bit out of touch, still being a student (the "I'm not yet worthy" feeling). What are some of the benefits of membership(s)? I do not necessarily mean just benefits to myself,....though that part would be nice to know also. How would my membership(s) benefit cave diving as a whole? I would really like to know the pros & cons of each to help form a decision. Thanks!:cool2:

Cave country politics sometimes gets in the way, but both organizations do a lot to make and keep caves accessible to members in situations where private owners would otherwise prohibit or greatly restrict access.

Cow Springs by itself is well worth the cost of the NSS-CDS membership.

...but have been reluctant to because of feeling still a bit out of touch, still being a student (the "I'm not yet worthy" feeling).
Some divers stay at an Intro/Basic /Cave 1 level and never advance to Cave/Full Cave/Cave 2 levels. And 100% of those divers who do advance to those more advanced levels are still (or should be) continuing to learn. Cave diving is one of those things that rewards an open mind and an attitude of continuous learning and improvement.

So there is no need to feel limited by regarding yourself as just a "student".

Thank you for the info. Your statements make sense. I certainly will continue to learn in both technical & recreational levels. When I stop learning, will be when I leave diving for good (which ain't likely:)). I just really wanted to know the goals of the organizations, but I also understand how politics can get in the way, as you stated. Politics, in any manner has a way of making good things not so good. Thanks once again.

I have also been pondering this question. Thank you for starting the thread.

I've been a member of both since I received my cavern training. There is no need to feel "worthy of membership". They are just organizations with a goal of cave conservation, maintaining good landowner relations, and educating the public about cave diving. Politics do get in the way for both organizations. What I have seen over the past few years is they take turns on who gets the spotlight at any one time. This allows the members to go back and forth between the agencies... :wink: The NSS-CDS currently owns 3 springs and manages a 4th that is owned by the NSS. The NACD is looking for land with a spring on it to purchase. Joining provides some money to the organizations to help advance their goals. It also provides you with some nice magazines with photos and articles written by local cave divers to keep you in touch with what's going on in the cave diving world. You can also volunteer your services to the organizations. You don't have to be local to do that. I currently volunteer for the CDS and do most of my communication by e-mail and phone. There are volunteers from GA, AL, KY, etc. I have submitted an article for publication in the past. I also attend the workshops every year and membership does benefit me by making the admission fee a little less. In other words, join now. Don't wait. You are worthy now!

Joining these organizations shows a committment to their mission,which is safety,conservation,and education. There are many orgainzations that teach cave diving,and provide a certification,but none of them provide things like ie line for the caves,safety signs,and a voice for conservation & land owner relations. As mentioned the CDS has ownership and manages 4 cave systems,which compared to the price of some other springs,CDS membership is worth it.

Don't forget the Wakulla Co Dive Club and North Florida Springs Alliance. These two don't get mentioned, but are doing great things and have a low cost of membership.

They are all good. I've been an NSS/CDS member for quite a few years. To be honest the only reason I signed up was to get access to Cow but I really enjoy reading the magazine too. I think they all are working towards a good thing in the long run!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom