nTMX cert by Adv. TMX instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElBacio

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have two questions:

1. Can the Adv. Trimix instructor issue normoxic Trimix certification as well, or he needs to be nTMX instructor as well?

2. When somebody makes a cross-over instructor rating at the high level (i.e. Adv. Trimix instructor) - does he need to pay all the lower instructor certificates (Nitrox, Adv. Nitrox, Deco Procedures, Extended Range, nTMX) or only the highest one?

Regards,

El Bacio

Hi there: great questions.

First off: if an instructor crosses over with the equivalent rating of say Advanced Trimix, he or she is automatically "qualified" to teach courses that are prerequisites for that rating (trimix for example). However, in order to be certified to teach those "lower" courses, the instructor must register them with SDI, TDI HQ. This will involve a nominal fee... which is in part how the agency stays in business!

There are some notable exceptions to this. For example, an SDI level instructor crossover done at a dive show. Let's take the upcoming show in New Jersey, Beneath the Sea. Any sport diving instructor crossing over at the show (and doing the online crossover orientation beforehand), will have all specialties he or she is certified to teach crossed over for the one $399 fee.

Hello,

if an instructor crosses over with the equivalent rating of say Advanced Trimix, he or she is automatically "qualified" to teach courses that are prerequisites for that rating (trimix for example). However, in order to be certified to teach those "lower" courses, the instructor must register them with SDI, TDI HQ. This will involve a nominal fee... which is in part how the agency stays in business!

Thank you for your quick reply, but one point is still unclear for me.
Being "Trimix Instructor" is not a prerequisity for "Adv. Trimix Instructor".

Let's say that ER Instructor passes the course and exam and becomes Adv. Trimix Instructor. Does he pay the fee for "Adv. Trimix" and "Trimix" (two fees) or only "Adv. Trimix"?

Regards,

El Bacio

Two different questions... and I only answered one!

A TDI ER instructor who can meet the prerequisites for an Advanced Trimix instructor course and successfully completes the course can apply for additional certification to teach trimix. He / she will need to pay for an additional instructor registration but not another course fee to his / her IT.

Hope that's clearer now.

Last edited:
Can I ask a question on this thread (hopefully not hijacking it too badly).

In the prerequisites for becoming a TDI advanced wreck instructor, TDI requires the candidate to have certified 10 divers as SDI wreck divers. There seem to be many more TDI instructors than SDI instructors, so do they allow certifications for other agencies to fulfil this requirement? If so, do they also allow crossovers for the TDI advanced nitrox instructors (requiring 10 basic nitrox certifications)?

Hope that's clearer now.

Thank you very much. That clarifies 100% of my question.

Regards,

El Bacio

In the prerequisites for becoming a TDI advanced wreck instructor, TDI requires the candidate to have certified 10 divers as SDI wreck divers. There seem to be many more TDI instructors than SDI instructors, so do they allow certifications for other agencies to fulfil this requirement? If so, do they also allow crossovers for the TDI advanced nitrox instructors (requiring 10 basic nitrox certifications)?

I was able to cross over my PADI deep certs when I took the Adv Nitrox and Deco instructor courses. I would assume they would allow wreck certs from another agency to cross over. That would be a question for your IT or if Steve can answer it here.

First question: Can a candidate count another agency's wreck certs in place of SDI's... yes they can at this time.

Now the other question is a little more difficult to fathom. Are you asking if part of the prerequisite for becoming a TDI Advanced Nitrox instructor can be meet with certs in basic nitrox from another agency... yes it can at this time.

However, I see a potential problem... but I may be reading too much between the lines. Here, let me try to explain. The prerequisite for a candidate for Advanced Wreck instructor is Advanced Nitrox Instructor... and a bunch of other stuff including Advanced Wreck Diver and Decompression Procedures diver. The emphasis is strongly on prerequisite.

Now this MAY be taken as a crossover the morning before the next course starts in the afternoon... but the spirit of the term prerequisite should be interpreted as EXPERIENCE and in this example, experience teaching TDI Advanced Nitrox courses.

In other words, a candidate may become an advanced nitrox instructor by counting nitrox certs from another agency (at this time) but would be pushing standards (in my opinion) to have that cert crossed over and then immediately enroll in an Advanced Wreck Instructor Course.

Thanks for that clarification, and I understand fully your comment about experience.

You're welcome... any specifics you need to clarify, please don't hesitate to email me directly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom