Nubble boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
This probably should be posted in the BOOTS area of the Forum but I think it will more likely be seen here by the locals frequenting the site.

Nubble is known for the Nubble Crawl and falling. Some years it can be so slippery with algae/moss/seaweed whatever that when you exit you have to crawl out on your hands and knees to get above the slippery stuff. Entering is often done backwards while holding onto a rope tossed down the ledges with a weight on the end.

After much experimenting with different gear I have finally found a solution that seems to work for me. I use the XS Scuba 8 mm Thug boots. The thick hard sole allows me to screw in those little screws you can get in sporting goods stores that fishermen put on their chest wader boots. I did have to file off the points because they just barely stick through enough to poke you. I also have been able to put them on my drysuit boots around the outer edge w/out leaking. I have to use larger fin pockets that fit over the studs on the Thugs as they are a thick boot.

I have had very good luck the past few months with these at Nubble and post this hoping that it might give others some food for thought and prevent a bad fall someday.

Wow. This is a very good idea. I wonder if the company could take your idea and make a non-extruding, slightly recessed metal cleat which is built into the sole - thus accommodating a normal sized fin foot pocket? Thanks for sharing. I wonder if you could patent this idea?

X

I wonder if you could patent this idea?
Cats out of the bag now, already called the patent lawyer I saw on the infomercial last nigh at 2:00 a.m.
All kidding aside, I think its a great idea.

Never bothered to make the trek up to Nubble but you got me scratching my head. I can't think why something like these https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk# wouldn't work like a champ. Slip them on over your boots, take them off and stash in a pocket when you're bobbing in the water. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've used Yaktrax in Alaska for moderate horizontal ice / glacier treks. I would not use them on ice inclines with a full pack unless I had a ice axe, or other redundant safety device. Crampons for serious stuff. With slippery algae, a load of fumbley weight on your back and yet another piece of gear to apply /remove my thoughts currently would be to either use the rope line, buddy it down, or try the Ole' Flounder Patent Pending boot to get a grip. I remember some guy taking a face plant with his mask. Thud and Ouch.

On a separate thought - I wonder how it might be to use a high carbon tread (Vibram Roccia/Montana)?. I had the DUI rock boots and they were good for not twisting an ankle - but I hating lacing those things up on a bouncing boat. Always nearly induced seasickness. On a interesting note Vibram has a plant here in Ma.

These have been great on ice, made just up the road from Nubble in Biddeford Maine.

These have been great on ice, made just up the road from Nubble in Biddeford Maine.
I use these on land and love them. They are easy on/off and stow away in a coat pocket. The problem for me is that I have a bit of a beer belly and when I am in my drysuit with a tank on my back I can't bend over far enough to take these types of removables off. Drysuits are great but they really restrict your mobility from my experience.

I was up at Nubble the other day. Talk about black ice. I wasn't diving but just walking around the rocks at low tide. I came pretty close to slipping several times and taking a swim. Those are some slick rocks.

While stationed in Okinawa, the reef walk will put you on your backside real fast in rubber sole boots due to the algae. Everyone that dives there uses the felt bottom boots. Not only do they keep you from slipping but also protects you from the sea urchin spines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom