Nubble boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishermen use felt bottomed chest waders in the streams for walking over slippery rocks. i tried glueing some onto the bottoms of my drysuit boots a few years back. They worked ok on the algae but the glue didn't last long and they eventually peeled off/shredded. They were just cheap felt inserts and not made for exterior use. Who makes the felt bottom dive boots you mentioned?

It must be some kind of super algae. My dog walks all over the jetty rocks on the east end of the cape cod canal. She had a hard time just standing up at Nubble. Maybe some scientist can go investigate it and come of with a new anti friction bio lube.

I slipped and fell at Nubble 3 weeks ago. Maybe they could install stairs at this dive spot or at least a rope railing for divers.
From a selfish standpoint I would love to have steps right into the water like in the quarries, but it would destroy the scenic appeal of those rocks and ledges. Except for a few painted "private property" signs on rocks near the residential areas, the rocks are untouched by human construction and there are no fences or barriers preventing stupid people from falling into the ocean. This adds to the wildness and thrill for the tourists that have never been there before or whom have never seen the rocky Maine coastline up close and personal.

Another factor preventing any construction on the rocks is ocean storms. The Patriots Day Storm of 2007 did much damage to the area around the lighthouse and Sohier Park. The water was up so high, and had such destructive force, that the parking lot pavement was eroded and the ocean waves crossed right over the island to the other side. Parts of the island and Sohier Park were carried off into the ocean. The base of the lighthouse itself was at times under water. Much work has been done by the town since then to give us the nice scenic areas we have today.

Three or four years ago a 3" plastic flexible water line was run across underwater to the island. It was bolted down to the rocks with heavy clamps and bolts drilled into the rocks. That line didn't last one winter. In the Spring when I started diving there the next year it had been all torn apart by the surge action against the shore. And this was very thick plastic, not pvc. I have been told that the boulders that you find along the shore there move around in the big storms. I am talking boulders the size of small cars. This was probably how the waterline got torn up.

The moral of my story is anything built on the rocks there will not last long. The area sits on the end of a peninsula that juts out---what maybe 3/4 mile---into the ocean. The cove is wide open to the destructive force of big storms out of the North and Northeast which are relatively common.

Stairs might be nice for we divers but it would be a waste of money. it wouldn't last long. Do like the locals do...if the water is rough, tie off a 30' rope with a 10 pound weight on the end to the little mooring ring for the lighthouse row boat. Toss the weighted rope down to the large table rock at the low water line. Go in and out using this rope to give you balance and stronger footing against the surge and/or slippery algae.

From a selfish standpoint I would love to have steps right into the water like in the quarries, but it would destroy the scenic appeal of those rocks and ledges. Except for a few painted "private property" signs on rocks near the residential areas, the rocks are untouched by human construction and there are no fences or barriers preventing stupid people from falling into the ocean. This adds to the wildness and thrill for the tourists that have never been there before or whom have never seen the rocky Maine coastline up close and personal.

Another factor preventing any construction on the rocks is ocean storms. The Patriots Day Storm of 2007 did much damage to the area around the lighthouse and Sohier Park. The water was up so high, and had such destructive force, that the parking lot pavement was eroded and the ocean waves crossed right over the island to the other side. Parts of the island and Sohier Park were carried off into the ocean. The base of the lighthouse itself was at times under water. Much work has been done by the town since then to give us the nice scenic areas we have today.

Three or four years ago a 3" plastic flexible water line was run across underwater to the island. It was bolted down to the rocks with heavy clamps and bolts drilled into the rocks. That line didn't last one winter. In the Spring when I started diving there the next year it had been all torn apart by the surge action against the shore. And this was very thick plastic, not pvc. I have been told that the boulders that you find along the shore there move around in the big storms. I am talking boulders the size of small cars. This was probably how the waterline got torn up.

The moral of my story is anything built on the rocks there will not last long. The area sits on the end of a peninsula that juts out---what maybe 3/4 mile---into the ocean. The cove is wide open to the destructive force of big storms out of the North and Northeast which are relatively common.

Stairs might be nice for we divers but it would be a waste of money. it wouldn't last long. Do like the locals do...if the water is rough, tie off a 30' rope with a 10 pound weight on the end to the little mooring ring for the lighthouse row boat. Toss the weighted rope down to the large table rock at the low water line. Go in and out using this rope to give you balance and stronger footing against the surge and/or slippery algae.
Well put

Fishermen use felt bottomed chest waders in the streams for walking over slippery rocks. i tried glueing some onto the bottoms of my drysuit boots a few years back. They worked ok on the algae but the glue didn't last long and they eventually peeled off/shredded. They were just cheap felt inserts and not made for exterior use. Who makes the felt bottom dive boots you mentioned?
Sorry for being so late to reply. I have looked them over and on the outside it has, "Tsunami Gear," which is the dive shop on Camp Foster. Tag on the inside has:
Size 10
Neoprene 90%
Nylon Jersey 10%
Made in Taiwan
Mine are in excellent to new condition. If you want them then shoot me a price. I can provide pictures. These are a men's size 10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom