Nudis and flatworms...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

A little help would be greatly appreciated! :)

IMG_6078.jpgIMG_6079.jpg
I'm guessing some kind of hypselodoris, but which one? (Puerto Galera, Philippines)

IMG_6146.jpg
Pteraeolidia ianthina? (Puerto Galera, Philippines)

IMG_5791.jpg
Nembrotha Chamberlaini? I'm hesitating because the base of the rhinophores and gills is dark purple, and it looks blue-ish instead of white... (Verde Island, Philippines)

IMG_5899.jpg
Some kind of flatworm from Puerto Galera

IMG_6651.jpgIMG_6652.jpg
I was thinking pseudoceros monostichos, but the center line goes all the way to the front and the brown lines on each side have a distinct border... (Palau)

IMG_7770.jpg
And the last one... Haven't got a clue! Under a centimetre in length. Juvenile? (Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines)

Thanks!!! :)

last one maybe a juvenile roboastra gracilis? i also think one is def risbecia apolegma and that you've got #2 and #3 right

Well, "clueless" is Roboastra gracilis
apolegma? maybe, but typical dot pattern is not present
ianthina, surely
chamberlaini, probably, need to see red patch beneath gill area, but purple is likely as good [I'm no expert though]
flatworm, I would say Pseudocerus bifurcus, there's a lot of variety
The other marine worm, don't know, but I've photographed many in the Philippines lacking description that I can find anywhere, and I've not seen this one.
The expert is Leslie Newman, you can try contacting...

Also see nudipixel.net, you can try matching against the 200+ apolegma photos.

If you check nudipixel.net, you will find a good match for the first in the category Hypselodoris sp., which are those not categorised by species.
As I mentioned, doesn't really look like apolegma.

A number of Hypselodoris were recently changed to Risbecia, so where those under "sp." really belong is unclear.

And what's the difference between the hypselodoris family and the risbecia?
Both genus, Hypselodoris and Risbecia, are in the family Chromodorididae.
As more information is gathered by study, anatomical and genetic, species are often reclassified based on the findings.

For the layman, it's confusing at times, as not all sources get updated in timely fashion and, I suspect, some changes are not accepted by all authorities.
I go with Nudipixel as my primary source, as it's the most consolidated and up to date repository I know. However, some of it's information is suspect as well.

For instance, is it Risbecia tryoni or Hypselodoris tryoni, Chromodoris geometrica, or Goniobranchus geometricus?
Nudipixel says one thing, Wikipedia another. I just go with the flow.

Thanks, very interesting...

Love your quote btw Kilili!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom