Number of Dives not Quality Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Redrover, I'm not a technical diver, and never meant to sound like such. I do recreational dives within the NDL, on an average weekend I don't exceed 64 feet. I'm not looking for acknowledgment for me. I just know that I log more dives a year than divers who are much more skilled than me and I would even say are more "active divers" even though I'm logging more dives their dives take more planning, preparation and execution time. In the end I wasn't getting to skill as much as trying to comment on how we discuss levels of activity.

I think I finally see what your point is. It is really just agreeing with the rest of us in this thread.

Here's the point (correct me if I'm wrong): The number of dives is not necessarily indicative of superior experience.

But, because I'm a girl, I will never, ever, understand this competetive gene males have. And that seems to be what is driving the thread you object to. Unless you choose, diving is not a competition. Well, except for the fun thing.

This is begining to take on the aura of bureaucratic planning... "Never make plans simple when they can be made complex and wonderful."
Nevertheless, we do need to reward frequent divers, so the following little table/spreadsheet will guide you in assessing the deterioration of experience points between dives...
:D
Rick
Aw Rick, how could something that fun to see have any taint of bureaucracy?

Oh.

Yeah, :11doh:

One of my traits is to “Never make plans simple when they can be made complex and wonderful."

Ya otta see the Ohana kitchen I created last week. Took about half of the plumbing fittings of Home Depot, and Lowes, and HPM, back this week. Only took 8 days to figure out how to make it work, with bits and pieces from each.:D

:popcorn:
But numbers aside, it all comes down to why you chose to keep track, and it will differ for everyone. Time, dives, etc will never quantify skill...it just quantifies exactly what it's tracking. Divers gain experience and skill at different rates, and plateau at different levels of skill. Raw numbers will never show any of that.

most sensible thing so far. :coffee: I am finding this thread highly entertaining. Off work and too sick to dive what a waste of time so I may as well find entertainment here...

Back
Top Bottom