Nurse Shark Attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read a great article, in DAN magazine if I recall right, not too long ago about some SCUBA Divers who had Dive Alert Network (DAN) Insurance. Out west practicing for a bicycle race in the mountains. Mechanical issue with the rented bikes and crashed resulting in injury. DAN paid for the medevac helicopter and subsequent treatment. Another article in DAN Magazine was about treatment for a spider bite while on land before going out on the boat. Bottom line, you were on a dive trip and were injured on the off gassing day before the flight while in the water. Worth filing a claim and see what they say. They are the experts, we are not, on what they will and will not pay.

In High School I learned this valuable lesson "If you assume the answer is no and don't ask, then the answer is no, if you ask the answer may be no, or may be yes!:eyebrow: Only one way to find out, ask."

This will make for a great story at the cocktail party. Glad you are all right.

Perhaps it is not true that people were feeding it lion fish, but why would Betty make up that someone said it?

People say all kinds of things.

Oh I don't think Betty would, but I am sure if Deb said no one was saying that at the chamber, you can bank on it wasn't being said at the chamber.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 07:41 PM ----------

In High School I learned this valuable lesson "If you assume the answer is no and don't ask, then the answer is no, if you ask the answer may be no, or may be yes!:eyebrow: Only one way to find out, ask."

On the other I had I operate on assumption the answer is yes, then ask supervised and beg forgiveness if someone notices.

Reactions: Jax
Read a great article, in DAN magazine if I recall right, not too long ago about some SCUBA Divers who had Dive Alert Network (DAN) Insurance. Out west practicing for a bicycle race in the mountains. Mechanical issue with the rented bikes and crashed resulting in injury. DAN paid for the medevac helicopter and subsequent treatment.
I had a problem with that story, since they just happened to see a medevac helicopter nearby for some reason I don't recall, used it - which is the thing to do sure, but why did DAN Travelers Assist pay for it. It is very clear that DAN Travelers Assist medevacs have to be requrested thru DAN, not just done - so why did they pay for that one, then publicize it, giving the erroneous impression that they would in other cases.

So I called and asked. They gave a very vague answer. I suspect politics.

At any rate, keep in mind that the request has to go thru DAN and the medevac arranged by them to be paid, usually.

I do agree, tho: file the claim and try to get benefit.

Another article in DAN Magazine was about treatment for a spider bite while on land before going out on the boat.
I think that was probably the top plan that covers accidents outside of the US.

I do agree, tho: file the claim and try to get benefit.

Last edited:
Trip insurance coverage might. Dive accident coverage should not because this was not a "Covered Diving Accident" (i.e. it did not occur during a recreational dive).

Was thinking along this line..:We (wife & I) have Premium DAN insurance &---when we take trip insurance out ie for 'longer more expensive trips' , more than Cozumel--we take our trip insurance out thru DAN....Just asked the wife(my boss & go to lead person...:)) & she said it(that shark accident) would have been covered, thru DAN.........Just was curious if he had DAN's(trip) insurance......

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 04:24 PM ----------

The highest level of Dan insurance includes travel insurance also.

We(wife & I) have the highest level of DAN but still buy extra trip insurance---thru DAN....Was just curious if he had it & if he was gunna get anything back thru them....

Was thinking along this line..:We (wife & I) have Premium DAN insurance &---when we take trip insurance out ie for 'longer more expensive trips' , more than Cozumel--we take our trip insurance out thru DAN....Just asked the wife(my boss & go to lead person...:)) & she said it(that shark accident) would have been covered, thru DAN.........Just was curious if he had DAN's(trip) insurance......

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 04:24 PM ----------

We(wife & I) have the highest level of DAN but still buy extra trip insurance---thru DAN....Was just curious if he had it & if he was gunna get anything back thru them....
Buying dive & trip insurance both from DAN may mean that the coverages supplement each other. I get my trip insurance elsewhere, which means that they might split some expenses - but more maximum coverage.

If he has Preferred level, the non-diving accident coverage will cover him, even if wading is not considered skin diving. Otherwise, hard to know for sure.

The DAN dive insurance handbook says the top two plans cover "All covered in-water skin- and scuba diving injuries" while the bottom plan which is a lousy one only $10/year cheaper but many take without looking closely only covers DCI.

Last edited:
So if I'm ever wading at the beach, should I keep my snorkel on? That way it's always a skin dive?

Thankfully my medical insurance has really good international coverage, and I have a general travel insurance policy. (But I'd never dive without DAN)

So if I'm ever wading at the beach, should I keep my snorkel on? That way it's always a skin dive?
The handbook does not define skin diving. No guarantees, but try calling it that if not wearing scuba gear.

Roofer wasn't given a choice of where to go, or they didn't offer one. He was picked up by ambulance and rushed to what we thought was the hospital. He was cleaned, stitched up and stayed over night for observation. Released just in time to catch the flight home on Saturday. Dr confirmed it was definitely a shark bite from the bite pattern and teeth marks. Apparently the first recorded in Cozumel (allegedly). Does not have DAN insurance, insured privately. Dr/Hospital bill in Cozumel must be paid in full before leaving. They immediately wanted approximately half of the estimated bill upon check in. Roofer said the care received by the Dr and nurses was very good. Equipment left a lot to be desired. Home and resting now.

Dan coverage depends on where it is purchased. I checked into it last week. We have DAN Insurance but it will not cover anything non diving. I had read stories of them doing so in DAN magazine so I PHONED them to confirm what they would nor would not cover for my upcoming trip to North America. I couldn't get Non dive coverate from them. Had to purchase trip insurance elsewhere.

Most important thing is to be sure what you are covered for before you leave and need it!

Trip insurance coverage might. Dive accident coverage should not because this was not a "Covered Diving Accident" (i.e. it did not occur during a recreational dive).

If he has DAN Preferred plan through PADI Americas it covers non-diving related accidents while on a dive vacation - even a slip and fall. This plan is only available through PADI Americas I believe.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 09:22 AM ----------

Perhaps it is not true that people were feeding it lion fish, but why would Betty make up that someone said it?

People say all kinds of things.
Embellishing, exaggerating, speculation, hearing it 3rd or 4th or 5th hand and considering it truth perhaps.

I trust Deb on this considering she is a valuable staff member at the clinic and was probably there and involved in the treatment/care of this patient.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

Thankfully my medical insurance has really good international coverage, and I have a general travel insurance policy. (But I'd never dive without DAN)

Get the preferred plan through PADI America and you're covered - then you don't have to worry about lying or insurance fraud

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom