NYC dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanderlustgal:
An experience with ill-fitting rental gear was why I was wanting to finally fork over the dough for my own stuff. I'mjust amazed at the discrepancy in prices between the LDS and the internet. But I'm not very savvy on the equipment so I need someone to talk to in person about stuff. If I buy locally I can only afford to do a piece at a time whereas on-line they have nicely priced packages.

Be careful if you buy on the Internet. I'm sure you realize that. If you need to talk to someone and try things on, you really should, then the Internet is not the place. Sometimes when things are so cheap, there is a reason for that. Whatever you do, or wherever you buy your gear, be careful. Good luck.

evad:
Stingray Divers is good if you are talking to the owner, otherwise you are talking to a paintball kid who doesn't know a lot about scuba.

I have tried to contact stingraydivers, but I don't get any reply. Sometimes, I don't understand why they put their email address on the website, even though they don't read and reply. LOL~~

I forgot to mention that I have also called Kings County divers in Brooklyn and they were also very nice on the phone now twice. They seem to be pretty active locally and I believe they ran the aqarium dive at Coney Island this year that Pan Aqua usually runs. Correct me if I am wrong. I have never been there but some friends have and they also said they were nice, whatever that means. YMMV.

scubadobadoo:
I forgot to mention that I have also called Kings County divers in Brooklyn and they were also very nice on the phone now twice. They seem to be pretty active locally and I believe they ran the aqarium dive at Coney Island this year that Pan Aqua usually runs. Correct me if I am wrong. I have never been there but some friends have and they also said they were nice, whatever that means. YMMV.

Jason, Thanks. I will be in NY this Thanksgiving. I will check it out...
BTW, I also plan to check out Rexdive Center that you recommend.

hoosier:
Jason, Thanks. I will be in NY this Thanksgiving. I will check it out...
BTW, I also plan to check out Rexdive Center that you recommend.

Have fun Hoosier! I hope you like crowds! LOL.

I do like Rex Dive Center in CT. ABout a one hour drive from me in Queens. I have purchased two DUI dry suits from them and my wife got her Diva BC there too. Pretty decent folks from what I could tell after a few visits. Haven't been there in over a year. Not a huge place but pretty decent on hand stock. Did I mention that they will match prices on most LP gear if you ask and LP has the given item in stock?

scubadobadoo:
Have fun Hoosier! I hope you like crowds! LOL.

I do like Rex Dive Center in CT. ABout a one hour drive from me in Queens. I have purchased two DUI dry suits from them and my wife got her Diva BC there too. Pretty decent folks from what I could tell after a few visits. Haven't been there in over a year. Not a huge place but pretty decent on hand stock. Did I mention that they will match prices on most LP gear if you ask and LP has the given item in stock?

Have you ever asked Pan Aqua to match a cheaper price you were able to get someplace else?

I think:

What you're looking for doesn't exist.

You should probably call scubatoys (loads of help and warranty @ LP prices).

You shouldn't bother with Crackpot Network on 6th AVE.

If you don't want a BP/W, you should look at a Zeagle "Scout" or "Escape" (light and compact) at LP for about $200.00.

If you are thinking about going to LDSs, trying stuff out, then going back to LP...well, that's how B. Gladstone got her start and now she only uses the finest puppies in her winter coats.

pilot fish:
Have you ever asked Pan Aqua to match a cheaper price you were able to get someplace else?

Yes. I asked them to match not only on a LP product but on another LDS's price and the answer was no. So I went to Rex Dive Center in CT and bought my DUI dry suits and another BC for my wife. I also bought two sets of Scubapro regs at LP for a total savings of over $600. Add in the dry suits and the BC and other gear I didn't purchase there and the savings is in the thousands! Literally thousands!! That's two trips to the keys or more!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like Pan Aqua and think they do the best job of replicating that small town LDS feel in a very chaotic Manhattan, but I have saved literally thousands by choosing not to shop there for some items. I have also spent thousands at Pan Aqua happily. I haven't spent money at any other LDS, besides LP in NYC. I have spent money in LI, NJ, PA, and CT though.

I will also say that I have had some great instructors at Pan Aqua. Not only did some of them really know there stuff, but a few are truly gifted teachers that love the work. YMMV. That fact alone has brought me back to them a few times.

I have said this many times before and I'll say it again. I hope all dive shops do well and find a place in the market becasue that aids the dive community here in NYC. More divers equals more diving locally. :D

Added: If you are a local diver and don't have a car, Pan Aqua has a great deal going to Dutch Springs! I think it is $75 to go on a chartered bus to Dutch and that price includes the ride to and from, tanks and weights, and admission as well as advice from them when you get there. This is a really great way for warm water vacation divers without a car to try some cold water diving in a safer environment and also to meet other divers. I believe Pan Aqua is the only NYC dive shop that does this type of trip regularly throughout the warmer months. My point is they are trying to make it easier for local divers to stay active. They can't be making much money off these trips. They get points for that.

Here's a another opinion on another LDS I have visited. Scuba World in Fushing. Very tiny place, almost no stock, frequently being staffed by a young kid who doesn't know much about SCUBA or by someone who doesn't speak English very well, not worth the trip, decent prices on what little is in stock though. I brought my steel tanks in to get a fill and the kid had never seen HP tanks before. He was very friendly though.

Reading this post again made me realize that what I wrote seems harsh but I have decided not to change a word because I want to be honest.

scubadobadoo:
Yes. I asked them to match not only on a LP product but on another LDS's price and the answer was no. So I went to Rex Dive Center in CT and bought my DUI dry suits and another BC for my wife. I also bought two sets of Scubapro regs at LP for a total savings of over $600. Add in the dry suits and the BC and other gear I didn't purchase there and the savings is in the thousands! Literally thousands!! That's two trips to the keys or more!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like Pan Aqua and think they do the best job of replicating that small town LDS feel in a very chaotic Manhattan, but I have saved literally thousands by choosing not to shop there for some items. I have also spent thousands at Pan Aqua happily. I haven't spent money at any other LDS, besides LP in NYC. I have spent money in LI, NJ, PA, and CT though.

I will also say that I have had some great instructors at Pan Aqua. Not only did some of them really know there stuff, but a few are truly gifted teachers that love the work. YMMV. That fact alone has brought me back to them a few times.

I have said this many times before and I'll say it again. I hope all dive shops do well and find a place in the market becasue that aids the dive community here in NYC. More divers equals more diving locally. :D

That is exactly my feeling on Pan Aqua too. They do not budge on price, which I think hurts them but they have great gear and very gifted staff and instructors. I get my gear serviced there also. I bought all my gear from them. I do wish they treated repeat customers better, which would mean more repeats.

Where in Ct is Rex Dive? Is it worth the trip?

Back
Top Bottom