NYC dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
anyway, to summarize:

also, in New York (but not the city, the state of NY), is the shop that I now use... it's All About Scuba in Vestal NY. http://www.allaboutscuba.com
Big things such as Dive Training, Halcyon products and DUI suits, regulators, I get from there.. They also service all my regs and cylinders.

Cheap stuff such as fins and masks I get from LP (I work across the street from them, so it's just fast, cheap and easy for me; I would never buy anything else there other than maybe o-rings)

Gas fills and sometimes other big gear such as tanks, I get from Stingray Divers.

Sometimes I go to Hoboken Dive center across the river for fills. Sofia who works there is super nice.

Since you work right across the street from LP it's foolish to trek anywhere else for small dive items. Have you noticed that while they discount bc's, reg's and puters that small items are similarly priced to LDS? I saw no discount on any small items.

Wanderlustgal...If you're still looking, my LDS is in Yonkers and they just opened another location in Brooklyn. Yonkers store has, IMHO, knowledgeable people working there and always a diver to talk to about gear. www.scubanewyork.com

ronpriskie:
Wanderlustgal...If you're still looking, my LDS is in Yonkers and they just opened another location in Brooklyn. Yonkers store has, IMHO, knowledgeable people working there and always a diver to talk to about gear. www.scubanewyork.com

That looks interesting Ron but one thing they said that is not accurate, "they are the only one in the NY area with access to a heated pool." Pan Aqua has access to a heated pool too. I'll check them out though.

Ok, I am in NY. What dive shops should I check out? Hmmm~~~~~~~~

Lombardi's Pizza on Spring Street.

VTernovski:
your mileage may vary as they say. I know tons of other people that are perfectly happy with his shop, so I didn't mean to put down that shop by any means...

lol.. but now I am laughing at myself again because I just remembered that actually the service wasn't cheap; my regulators were given for annual service along with the tanks to be O2 cleaned (converted for Nitrox)... he took a liberty of also O2 cleaning my regs (even though I didn't ask for it) and charged me extra for that. When I asked why, he said it was a package deal along with cleaning the tanks.. oh well. I guess those silly green ANDI hose protectors that he put on my regs with the date of the service punched out cost a lot.

Sounds like you haven't been to mike's in some time.. Almost all the inventory (and hes been stocking pretty heavily the last year or so) is in the computer,so getting a proce is pretty easy.. Special order things are another story.. If you are looking for "deals" then only mike or Billy will give pricing..

If your reg was an apeks, it is uderstandable... Apeks (and now many of the aqualung regs) regs are notorious for the IP rising as the seat breaks in.. I know they have only been selling the apeks stuff for a few years now, and if it wasn't recently you probably got them early on.. Once you get used to apeks regs you quickly learn not to set the reg up for peak performance after a service, you have to detune it slightly... after its been broken in you can peak it..

I'm betting the less than enthustiastic person was emilio... hes never enthusiastic.. I havent seen him around much anymore so I don;t think hes teaching much..

The best days to go to mikes is on tues,weds,thursday when billy is around... He will bend over backwards to make you happy..

Those green sleves make look funny but they do what they are intended to do.. remind people when the reg was last serviced, alot of people lose track of when their gear was serviced and from talking with the guys they are getting alot more people bringing in the regs...

I use them myself (for me its a necessity as I have so many regs and they are all serviced at different times)..

Mikes prices are reasonable, he wount be the cheapest but he wount rip you off either..

What I am really surprised is that Mike didn't make good on fixing the reg.. Did he try or did you just send it off?? I know mike usually tries to make everyone happy..

hoosier:

Scubadobadoo and I are also Larry’s regular customers.

I know this shop and I got my regulators from this shop when they are SP authorized dealer. The owner, Jay, is the only one who can speak English, I think. The shop is mostly based on their own people. And, depending on the item, you can get some good deals.

Jason. You must have been many shops in N.Y. Thanks.

I am a Scuba Toys Fan!

I heard that Jay was a great guy but have not had the chance to meet him yet in my 6 or so visits to the shop.

Thanks to you guys recommendation, I have been to Stingraydivers that is only one technical dive shop in NY area. They are family based busienss, dad, son, and daughter in law... I stayed there for two hours and ordered some items. I was told that new order is going to be three weeks to get. OK, I can wait.... Left all shipping information with the price agreement. But, there is no update after three weeks and even fourth weeks. I tried to contact the shop by email. It never got through...
Finally, I talked with the owner by phone. He suddenly changed the price that we have already agreeded on. Come on, it is an old tactic.........It isn't a big deal to pay more though. I don't think he is deserved to have my business.

"This is my changed price, get it or not"

I am not sure how much expert diver the owner is. His way of business is BS to me.

Back
Top Bottom