NYPD Divers using Sonar with LCD screens in mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
This is interesting. Thought I'd share it in the PSD forum.

Might be something your team might like. But at $50k per unit, good luck getting it funded.

from NEW TOOLS FOR N.Y. ROBOCOP

NEW TOOLS FOR N.Y. ROBOCOP
LATEST HI-TECH CRIME FIGHTERS

on page 1:
The NYPD's Scuba Team is evaluating devices that allow divers to see underwater sonar images on LCD screens attached to their masks instead of blindly searching murky rivers.

on page 3:
Scuba Unit

Sonar

Police divers are testing a new and improved $50,000 sonar device that will not only allow underwater searchers to transmit images back to a boat, but let the diver actually see the sonar picture on two LCD screens fitted on his or her mask. "A lot of times, visibility isn't good in the water here in New York, so divers can't see two feet in front of them," said Lt. John Harkins, commander of the NYPD Scuba Team.

"A lot of times, visibility isn't good in the water here in New York, so divers can't see two feet in front of them," said Lt. John Harkins, commander of the NYPD Scuba Team.
[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

Geez....I'd love to have two feet viz on any of our dives.

No wonder my taxes are in the stratosphere!:D

ummmmmm.... WOW!!! I'm thinkin NOT in our budget.... we fight bad vis (0-3 ft) and rippin currents here on the Oregon Coast all the time... but I don't think that our Cheif will spring for that..... looks like it's the line search for us.

Back
Top Bottom