O-ring picks: Brass vs. nylon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A couple search attempts yielded nothing, so this seemed like as good a place as any for this. I'm looking at getting an
o-ring pick, as reasonably as possible, just for occasional personal use (so I'm not looking to buy the most-expensive-best-of-the very,very-best.:D)
The 3-pack brass kit from LP and others are cheap at $10 delievered, but I read they are fragile and easily bent.
An ebay vendor called Captain O-ring has several, both nylon and brass, for $8-11 delivered. His green reinforced nylon unit is the one I'm looking most closely at right now (only about $8 delivered).
I like the idea of the sturdy reinforced nylon, but I can see how the brass ones, with their finer tips, might work better in some situations, than the somewhat chunkier synthetic ones.
Are these reinforced nylon picks ok, or junk that should be avoided in favor of brass?
Anyway, you get the idea. Any advice, specific recommendations, warnings, etc are all much appreciated......

I use these. $2 for the set of four picks. Mine are 3 or 4 years old now.

Mini Pick and Hook Set
image_16048.jpg

I make my own out of brazing rod which allows me to produce any shape I want. I just create a loop in the other end to serve as a handle.

For general purpose, go with brass. They only get bent or break with the most embedded and stuck o-rings that are way past overdue for changing out. The brass picks get in and can poke through o rings making it easier to "grab" and remove them. In my experience, the nylon picks are only useful if you are a regulator technician. I use a nylon pick for pulling tiny tiny o rings out of plastic or sensitive components so that the brass does not scratch.

Depends on the application. O-rings used inside regulators and inside instruments can use a fine point brass tip or nylon non scratching tip but a worn out embedded semi fused to the metal duro 90 POS o-ring stuck in a yoke tank valve uses a little more of a brute force tool. Something hard sharp and not fragile

Depends on the application. O-rings used inside regulators and inside instruments can use a fine point brass tip or nylon non scratching tip but a worn out embedded semi fused to the metal duro 90 POS o-ring stuck in a yoke tank valve uses a little more of a brute force tool. Something hard sharp and not fragile
Agreed =) which is why we also have SS dental picks haha. But I wouldn't recommend carrying them around in your save a dive kit. Brute force tools used on say, the chromed brass on most tank valves will relatively easily chip off that chrome coat and expose your brass to corrosion.

Totally agree with the "depends on the application" sentiment. I guess the question is, are you looking for pick just to change our LP/HP port and tank valve o-rings? Which is the most common among your open water divers. I still say go 3 pick brass set.

Or are you looking to be able to fully service a regulator, tank valve, and BCD inflators (the later are never serviced until they are basically not serviceable anymore). In this case, you need an array of brass, stainless, and nylon picks with assorted tips/hooks on each.

Back
Top Bottom