O-ring picks: Brass vs. nylon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO the 3 pick brass set is the best choice.
Yep, I'm leaning that way,too. But, are you referring to the commonly seen kit from Leisure Pro and others, or that Hoppes gun cleaning kit posted above? I'm really liking that Hoppes kit, it's also got 3 brass tools, that seem a bit less fragile than the othe one, plus it comes with a nylon brush (which I already have several of, but another doesn't hurt). The Hoppes kit can be found for around $12 delivered.
Many thanks to all for the solid and speedy replies. :thumb:

I use these. $2 for the set of four picks. Mine are 3 or 4 years old now.

Mini Pick and Hook Set
View attachment 450290

That's what I have too. (Just the $45 Snap-On version)

I have used these for aircraft maintenance (turbine helicopter fuel, oil, hydraulic and pneumatic systems) for 28 years with no issues...but be warned the steel will score threads etc. if you are not very careful. The sharp tips can also gouge/damage an o-ring if proper care isn't taken. From that perspective the brass and nylon are superior but a careful hand and these work great.

My two (or less) cents.

Your dentist will sometimes donate old picks as well. I have a bunch from mine over the years.

Get the Hoppes!

Attachments

• hoppes2.jpg
    hoppes2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 205
Yep, I'm leaning that way,too. But, are you referring to the commonly seen kit from Leisure Pro and others, or that Hoppes gun cleaning kit posted above? I'm really liking that Hoppes kit, it's also got 3 brass tools, that seem a bit less fragile than the othe one, plus it comes with a nylon brush (which I already have several of, but another doesn't hurt). The Hoppes kit can be found for around $12 delivered.
Many thanks to all for the solid and speedy replies. :thumb:

I was referring to the common Leisure Pro set. But looking at that hoppes kit, they look much more solid and i also have the similar tools in stainless for those "brute force" applications mentioned earlier. My only concern is that I cant tell from the picture if the tips are narrow enough. Looks like they should work, but for an o ring that isn't embedded, a narrow sharp pick allows you to easily poke and pull without having to get the right angle or wedge it in.

for example I had the T2 Tool https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Repair...&qid=1521058496&sr=1-2&keywords=t2+scuba+tool but gave it to my gf for her kit and went back to the standard 3 pick set. the brass pick on the tool was too wide and it was a PITA to get any purchase or under the LP port or rings and even to remove tank valve o rings. I'm not sure if you'd run into a similar problem with the Hoppes set.

Someone that has them should be able to shed more light on the matter =)

I just pulled the trigger (pardon the pun) on the Hoppes kit, from an ebay vendor for about $13.50 delivered.
Thanks again to all for chiming in, and especially to melloyello for posting that Hoppes kit! :thumb:

I just pulled the trigger (pardon the pun) on the Hoppes kit, from an ebay vendor for about $13.50 delivered.
Thanks again to all for chiming in, and especially to melloyello for posting that Hoppes kit! :thumb:
Would you mind to post a link?

This is the exact pick on scuba tools. Cheap enough to see if you like nylon.

https://m.autozone.com/test-scan-an...ck-tool?searchText=O+ring+pick&make=Chevrolet

I had one of those in the tool kit I used in ScubaPro class. I didn't find it to be especially useful. I tried to use it a couple of times and always ended up going to a brass pick.

Have a couple of these. Compact Scuba Multi-Tool

Keep one in my vehicle and one in my save a dive kit.

I keep one of those in my reg bag. Very handy.

I had one of those in the tool kit I used in ScubaPro class. I didn't find it to be especially useful. I tried to use it a couple of times and always ended up going to a brass pick.

I fully agree with you, just posted for the op to test them for cheap.

The points seem to disappear pretty quick on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom