O ring Picks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that you are looking for a double hook/pigtail and you can get them at Scuba Tools - it doesn't look loke the new owners are selling that particular pick as a single anymore ($1.50) although you can call and ask, but they definitely have it as part of a 5 pick set that is only $7.50 so it's still pretty cheap.

Jackie

Linking that made me look harder, and sure enough that double hooked is available by itself. No picture had me thrown.

Thanks.

Brass o-ring picks are the tool of choice for regs, but unfortunately, when they're thin enough to get under a tight o-ring, they don't have the strength to do the job. At least, that's been my experience.

I use a dental pick. The upside of that is strength and durability. The downside is that it will scratch the part as stated above if not used judiciously. You have to be extremely careful when you use a dental pick.

I have brass picks available and use them primarily to scrape verdigris (the green stuff of corrosion) off of places I can't reach with my brass-brushed Dremel tool. They work well in that application and don't scratch the parts.

Linking that made me look harder, and sure enough that double hooked is available by itself. No picture had me thrown.

Thanks.

I have the Scubatools set and an extra double hook. The double hook is the workhorse. I took a sharpening stone and dulled the point on one double hook so it is less likely to do any damage when extracting the HP o-ring from the gland on the Mk5/7/10. I think I even bent the shaft a bit to make it hook those guys a little easier.

I also have the scubatools pick, it works great. I had some dental picks, considering how much I've spent at his office he was thrilled to give me a handful of them. I found that they're really tough on o-rings and the scubatools ones work much better.

tfsails, just curious, why don't you soak the verdigris off like everyone else?

My favorites come from McMaster Carr... check out page 2693 at McMaster-Carr

7426ap1s.gif
7426ap2s.gif

7426A32 --------- and -------- 7426A33​

I have the Scubatools brass picks, but they are too big to deal with the HP o-ring that's buried inside the 1st stage.

I bought 2 brass "rods" from a general purpose hardware store, 1.3mm and 2.9mm by 1 meter. They seem to be very common in Western Europe at about a buck apiece.

Cut off a 15cm lenght, file the tip flat, finish it with #150 and #600 sand paper, bend the tip with a plier, touch up with #600, et voilà. 10' worth of work, half of it for digging out my hand tools.

I tested the 1.3mm "pick" on a SP Mk10 I'm working on, and it's magic.

Attachments

• P1020067s.jpg
    P1020067s.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 155
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom