o-rings: Zeagle cross ref to industry std

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is kind of a “I'm just curious to know” thingy. Or, maybe, “I've got too much time on my hands and puzzles like this intrigue me” thingy. You'll probably have to be pretty astute about o-rings to decipher this.

Here's the code I'm trying to crack...
I'm curious to know what would be the industry standard cross reference for a Zeagle o-ring p/n 160-9532-N7. It's a small o-ring that goes inside a ZX second stage.

Background...
I bought a new Zeagle DS-V and decided to play around with it just as soon as I took it out of the box. I put a nice little smiley face into one o-ring and don't feel like buying the full rebuild kit just to get one o-ring (that's a long story, I'll spare you). Why not use the same money to buy a nice big kit of spare o-rings!

Screwing up an o-ring led me to the next step: converting the Zeagle o-ring p/n list into AS568 part numbers.

Most of Zeagle's o-ring part numbers are easy to decipher, e.g.:
-Zeagle p/n 160-0011-N7
...must certainly be a -011 Buna N Durometer 70
(the above is the o-ring on a Zeagle LP port plug – same thing that most mfrs use)

Zeagle p/n 160-0905-N9 looks physically like a AS568-013, however the Zeagle p/n more closely matches a 'Boss Seal' -905. Lo and behold, the Boss Seal -905 has very nearly the same dims as the AS568-013. This, incidentally, is the o-ring I damaged. Problem solved.

So, the above might make you think that 160-9532-N7 is a Boss Seal as opposed to AS568. But there is no -532 Boss Seal, nor is there a -532 in AS568.

I kinda doubt they have custom o-rings made.

Like I said, you'll have to be into o-rings to figure this out. And, it's a riddle that doesn't have to be solved, I'm just curious.

Last edited:
I just ran into a similar predicament as I either a. received a repair kit that only has one 160-9532-N7 or I managed to lose it in the process of emptying out the bag into my work tray.

At any rate, I'm trying to find a suitable replacement, rather than buying a new service kit for one o ring. Did you have any luck in solving this cross-reference mystery?

In the process of doing some research, I noticed a discrepancy between two versions of the service manual for my ZX; namely, that the durometer of the 006 and 111 has changed from 70 to 90.

I thought you might find this of interest.

"... I either a. received a repair kit that only has one 160-9532-N7"

Hmm, I'm not sure I follow your point. The ZX only uses one of these, so that's all Zeagle really needs to put in the kit (if you've got 'one' then you're good to go). I'm guessing you meant to say, you can't find this item in the kit and assume you lost it or they failed to include it in the kit.

OK, based on that assumption...
There are two possible ways to solve this. Right now, I'll suggest what is probably the simplest and most reliable approach.

I guess you've got a source for kits. That source is quite possibly doing service work, and they would then probably be buying bulk items by individual part number. Call your source and ask them if you can buy a few o-rings. Frankly, if it were me, I'd make a list of bulk items and buy more then just this o-ring.

I don't know how accurate this is, but as of about a month ago, I heard that Zeagle was back-ordered on at least some of these parts in bulk. I heard that the back-orders would start to get cleared out sometime in August. Just a little FYI.

If the above solution doesn't work for you, leave another post. There is a standard metric o-ring that seems to work, however, we can't say that it is identical to 160-9532-N7.

In the process of doing some research, I noticed a discrepancy between two versions of the service manual for my ZX; namely, that the durometer of the 006 and 111 has changed from 70 to 90.

Hmm, you did say 'ZX'

I'm looking at a copy of the service manual copyrighted 2003. In that manual, I don't see any -006 for the ZX (it is used in the 1st stage). I do see -011 (2 of them) listed for the ZX. In 2003, all the o-rings in the ZX were Duro 70. Take another look (I've made mistakes before!)

This is what happens when one tries to post when they should be sleeping.

Yes, the second stage kit should have one and I don't have any.

Concerning Durometer, I was indeed referring to the first stage, (Flathead VI) which I also managed to omit, and indeed, the discrepancy is likely that the most recent service manual I am looking at that includes the O ring reference for my ZX second is for the 50D first, which does indeed employ different durometer O rings.

The short of it is, I'm good to go--thanks for the second set of eyes.

The 160-9532-N7 is a custom o-ring, and I really don't know how we came up with that specific number. Like you said, most of them are generic and have a method to the part number...

Scott

The 160-9532-N7 is a custom o-ring, and I really don't know how we came up with that specific number. Like you said, most of them are generic and have a method to the part number...

Scott

Do you really mean "custom" or do you just mean not a USA standard size? A custom o-ring in a regulator strikes me as a pretty negative feature. Like buying a car with non-standard wheels and tires so only the dealer can supply with replacement parts. Would you care to share the dimensions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

@Scott

Thanks for clarifying this.

I was beginning to think that might be the case.

Myself and another board member have checked every list of SAE and Metric o-rings we could find. None seemed to be exactly the same as the 160-9532-N7. And now you've confirmed why.

What are the actual dimensions you are looking at here? do you have the old one at least? There are quite a fews "Size standards" out there.

These size standards frequently have sizes in between the normal AS568 sizes. I know that Mares uses the BS Extended 500-800 standard for some of their Orings and the AS568 for others. For example between a -010 and -011 is what is referred to as a -610 and between a -011 and a -012 there is what is referred to as a -611. These are not metric, they are Imperial, but not Standard AS568. They are part of the BS(British Standard) Extended series. I will assume that the other OEMs do something similar.

Check out this page for a list of 9 different International size standards and links to sizing charts for each one http://www.perlast.com/O-ring_Sizes.html

I agree with AWAP, What possible reason could there be to go with a custom sized oring considering how many "standard" sizes are available? Can you actually tweak out such an amazing performance gain by going non standard that it makes sense to do so?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom