O2 at 80/20 or 100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler once bubbled...
Oxygen Window Effect ....I'm only aware of one current decompression software program that takes this into account (v-planner (VPMB)) ......
Please explain why you believe this.

My understanding is that the oxygen window is properly accounted for in the dissolved gas model of programs such as GAP, Decoplanner, Zplan, etc. A quick test for this is to verify that the total shallow stop time does not change if you restrict the last stop depth to 20'. It doesn't with O2. Making last stop 20' on 80/20 will extend times slightly.

Charlie

I'm not a decompression diver and I have no opinion about which is the superior mix. However, I do understand something about the underlying mathematics of the decompression calculations. There is typically too much hand waving in the discussions. It is not sufficient to simply say one mix has a higher partial pressure so it is obviously superior. The dynamics of off-gassing are important and must not be ignored. 80/20 allows you to go to a higher partial pressure earlier. You are at a lower partial pressure at 20 and perhaps 10 ft, but on 100% O2 there air breaks are required which tend to offset O2's partial pressure advantage.

Therefore, the optimum solution in terms of deco time is not immediately obvious, you must calculate the decompression schedule and determine which mix is delivers shorter hang times. The risk of oxtox should of course be balanced with accelerated deco times. It would be unwise for example to reduce hang times by say 3 minutes if the risk of oxtox was doubled.

Of course other anecdotally reported benefits such as feeling better with a specific mix are difficult to quantify and if true indicate the models need further refinement.

Ralph

Doppler ,please run 15/55 @250' for 30min with 32/80 and 50/100 on your VPMB and post the runtimes I'd like to see if we got the same times.I use the least conservative setting as per Ross's comments online at Yahoo about the newer version being slightly more conservative.This was one of the dives I was trying to use on my buddy to convince him.

Back
Top Bottom