O2 Clean Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cga says anything above 23.5% O2 requires cleaning and material selection for O2 service. Unless you have ever seen an O2 fire you have no concept how insane the the reaction actually is, even Stainless steel burns, aluminum burns like jet fuel. I wouldn't put Nitrox through a valve or tank that had not been cleaned. The scuba industry has deemed regulators safe for Nitrox service. This is due to the lower O2 content, lower pressures, and lower velocity of gas in the regulator beyond the piston/diaphragm in the first stage.

Each LDS fills either pre-mix or mix in the tank. The mixing in the tank exposes the valve and the tank to 100% O2 under pressure and is the most dangerous method we see in Nitrox service. Even flouroelastomer O-rings ignite at 600 degrees F, so you can see the threat is real. All it takes is a small amount of hydrocarbon to cause a disaster. The oil from your skin is enough.

I may not have been clear enough in my support for O2 clean for all Nitrox tanks, regardless of mix or fill procedure. I do understand the threat. PSI has stated as much, yet their stickers allow a Nitrox tank to have a PSI sticker and a decision on whether it is O2 clean. I don't understand that logic and believe it leads others to misinterpret what the standard should be. And that leads back to the original issue - there is no standard in the scuba industry.

The legally defensible standard is 23.5% or more requires oxygen cleaned equipment per the CGA approved procedures. That said, I'm not sure that there is a real danger of filling a clean (but not necessarily formally O2 clean) Al/steel tank with banked 32%. Is there?

The risk is reduced and a lot of shops operate accordingly. But the standard is anything greater than 23.5% requires cleaning.

It would really be nice if everyone would get on the same page.
I once brought two AL tanks to a hydro facility and asked that both be hydroed and O2 cleaned. They gave me the price for that. When I came back to pick them up,I mentinoed something about the valves and the technician asked--"Oh--did you want the valves O2 cleaned, too?"

Well, duh! Of course I did. The valve is where you are most likely to have a problem. Why do you think I brought the tanks in with the valves still on them? I had to leave them there and pay extra for the valve service.

I wonder how many people have had their tanks O2 cleaned there without realizing that the service did not include the valves?

boulderjohn:
That 23.5% rule is relatively new, and it comes from the regulations of the Compressed Gs Association (CGA). It is not law. It has not only not been uniformly adopted by the scuba industry, it is rarely adopted by the scuba industry.
Sadly, not true. At least some of the CGA is incorporated by reference by the DOT as enforceable parts of the CFR.
Actually, I would argue that the second half of John's statement IS true. The 23.5% threshold has NOT been adopted by the scuba industry.
Wetlens:
This is exactly my point. Either it is O2 clean or it is not. Combine all the noted reading in the past few posts and it seems clear to me that all Nitrox tanks need to be O2 clean. Can't be half pregnant.
This (pregnancy) is probably not the best analogy, even if it is somehow viscerally appealing. And, if you choose to believe that 'all Nitrox tanks need to be O2 clean' that is your choice, and I wouldn't argue with you.

In general, most in the scuba industry would agree that, if a cylinder is going to have 100% O2 (or anything greater than 40% O2 infused into it, it should be cleaned for oxygen service. Generally what that means is that if partial pressure blending, e.g. with 100% O2, is to be used the cylinder - AND VALVE - should be 'cleaned for oxygen service'. In general, most of the scuba industry would also agree that, if a cylinder is going to have 40% (or less) enriched air infused into it, it does not need to be cleaned for oxygen service. Whether that remains a valid position in view of the CGS guidelines, is another matter, altogether.
WetLens:
The NC shop that I used previously would not apply an O2 clean label unless they cleaned on inspection. They did not require O2 clean for Nitrox 40% and below. The NC shop I currently use just punched out O2 clean on my Nitrox tanks after VIP - with inspection only (no cleaning).
I have worked in two shops that fall into the former category (O2 clean above 40%). It is common practice. With regard to the third shop, the practice raises an interesting, and challenging issue. Because cleaning for oxygen service is a time-consuming, and not altogether inexpensive, process, some shops have taken the approach that, once a cylinder has been cleaned for oxygen service, it can be re-qualified by visual inspection, with appropriate methods (e.g ultraviolet light examination). That has become an attractive middle ground, which allows shops to avoid the effort and expense of cleaning equipment for oxygen service, and passing that expense along to the customer. Unfortunately, that inspection does not apply to the valve, as there is not way to inspect the valve without disassembling it. If the shop you referred to did such an inspection (with UV light), then I can understand why they 'just punched out O2 clean on my Nitrox tanks after VIP - with inspection only (no cleaning)'. If they simply looked in a cylinder with a normal wavelength light, and did nothing else, I think they are foolish to have put a 'cleaned for oxygen service' sticker on that cylinder. Personally, i have not adopted this abbreviated process at all. If someone wants me to put a 'Oxygen Clean' VIP sticker on a cylinder, I have to clean it AND the valve. And, that is time consuming, and materials intensive. And, I expect to be paid to do it.

Last edited:
If you look at the DoT letter I linked to you will see that the DoT has a very definite opinion is when you need to oxygen clean a tank, and it isn't 40%.

The proper procedure is to O2'clean the tank and valve to put into O2 service. After that, if care is taken at VIP time to not contaminate the tank by inserting a dirty inspection light, the tank can be inspected and put back in service without having to clean it. Which means it is possible to go the five years between hydros without have to clean it every year. The rub comes if the shop staff don't ensure they don't contaminate the tank themselves when they inspect it. So a lot of shops just tell you they have to clean it and charge you for it. Some of this is ignorance, some of it is greed. There is no "magic" to O2 clean, you just have to use the right cleaning solution and hot water to remove hydrocarbons in a clean, dust free environment.

I think we need to keep the risk in perspective.

I clean my own tanks and valves and am anal about it. I also partial pressure blend and do 100% oxygen fills in my tanks.

I am also aware that there are many people who use industrial oxygen in welding sets, and I would hazard a guess that many of them either are not aware of the risk, or simply don't care about being clean. Now how many times do we hear of oxygen accidents in this industry? I have yet to in OZ, although it probably happens occasionally I am sure. I suspect that many of these users take little care of their gear as well.

Now consider how the dive industry treats oxygen cylinders.

Whilst there is a difference in that industrial cylinders are not filled by anyone but the supplier, the attached gear can be not well looked after. In the dive industry the fills can be air one day and oxygen the next.

Whilst I dont promote filling non clean tanks and will not PP fill them myself unless clean, I personally think the risks are a lot lower than most assume. If I am filling however I dont want to be the poor sucker to find that one dirty tank that combusts.

Its generally accepted in OZ that as long as you are not PP blending, and thus doing nitrox fills by another method up to 40%, the tanks can be Nitrox clean but there is no requirement for Oxygen clean.

I smile when I hear Nitrox clean compared to Oxygen clean, because as far as I am concerned, if you clean a tank, you might as well do oxygen clean as its about the same effort.

This is a 12 page reference produced by Global MFG. On O2 cleaning scuba tanks for Nitrox and higher O2 percentage. It is also includes the "how to" using their recommended products and cleaning equipment. I have no association with this company. It is an easy read, and provides an insight into this topic from the industry. It should make this easy to understand and help us find an appreciation for what the dive shop faces, especially when we drag one of our old tanks in for them to put into Nitrox use.

http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/se.../CONVERTING DIVE TANKS FOR OXYGEN SERVICE.pdf

Back
Top Bottom