O2 Cleaning Cylinders with Simple Green

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished taking my TDI Equipment Service Technician course an we were going over O2 cleaning. It seems that the Navy has done some studies showing that Simple Green seems to leave a residue in tanks even after the rinsing process. The residue is actually the green stuff in Simple Green. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is a problem because most of the industry has been using Simple Green for a long time to O2 clean without any problems. There is a better alternative out there however, if you are willing to pay a little bit more money. It is manufactured by Simple Green and doesn't leave the residue. Crystal Simple Green is listed by them as being recommended for cleaning cylinders for O2 usage. Gets your hands on this stuff for everyone out there who cleans there own cylinders. Any little thing you can do to make this stuff safer is worth it in my opinion.

Dive4Life:
I just finished taking my TDI Equipment Service Technician course an we were going over O2 cleaning. It seems that the Navy has done some studies showing that Simple Green seems to leave a residue in tanks even after the rinsing process. The residue is actually the green stuff in Simple Green. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is a problem because most of the industry has been using Simple Green for a long time to O2 clean without any problems. There is a better alternative out there however, if you are willing to pay a little bit more money. It is manufactured by Simple Green and doesn't leave the residue. Crystal Simple Green is listed by them as being recommended for cleaning cylinders for O2 usage. Gets your hands on this stuff for everyone out there who cleans there own cylinders. Any little thing you can do to make this stuff safer is worth it in my opinion.

Was this something that was delivered in the form of documentation or was it something someone said in the class?

thanks,
Chris

I have heard, third party a couple of years a go, that military aircraft mechanics were not to use Simple Green to clean aluminum as it is damaging to the aluminum. It could be that this was referring to using the product straight from the bottle.

The reference I have from 1998 indicates using Crystal Simple Green diluted 1:10 with pure water.

Personally I use Joy or Dawn dish detergent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom