Objective Rebreather Comparos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to throw out there that you want a rebreather that other people in your area are diving and one that has a an instructor you really like. Its nice to dive with people that are on the same unit.

Cheers, Walt

Does anyone have any advice on where I can read an objective evaluation of the various RBs on the market? I realize that Consumer Reports probably has not done a test, but I'm sure someone/organization/tech magazine has. Feel free to post any links that may apply. Thanks in advance!

The problem with this is that the books have to remain impartial to a degree and they wont print the real downsides of some of the units. The best way to get good advice IMO is speak to a CCR instructor who can give you genuine advice on several models they teach without pushing you towards a particular unit. Do this with 2 instructors and you will have a good overview of the most popular units on the market.

Important points:

-Backmounted or Over The Shoulder Counterlungs

-Electronic or Manual or both

-C02 monitoring / temp stik

-Onboard electronics / trimix & ability to auto calibrate, give warning alarms etc.

The electronics are a biggie for me. Until someone sits you down and explains the real deal, you can end up buying a unit that has very little or no safety warning alarms on it at all. This is fine if you understand and accept it, but some people do get a bit shocked when they find out they paid $10k for a machine that essentially just removes co2 and relies on you to add oxygen and does nothing else.

Co2 monitoring / temp sticks are also a huge benefit and lacking on most rebreathers.

CCR's are like cars. You can get simple, fast sporty cars with a manual stick shift, or big comfy ones with traction control, GPS, engine management systems etc. Same with rebreathers - there are simple units with minimal electronics and there are very sophisticated units with lots of automation and self -checks.

Back
Top Bottom