Obtaining Divemaster Cert in Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are toying with the idea of getting our divemaster certification while on a trip to the Bahamas next summer. We will be in Nassau for a week and then on to freeport for another week. My questions are as follows:

Can the course be reasonably done in a week? In other words would it be too intensive to do in a week, as in 10 hr days for the whole week?

Does anyone have any recommnedations as to which shop to use?

It would be extremely difficult to complete a divemaster course within a week. And if anybody there quoted you one for such a short time, I would have to think they fell way short of the standards for the course.

A big part of the problem is the "internship" requirement. Fundamentally, you need to assist in a complete open water course with an instructor and some real live students. This is always a problem in resort areas, because you never know when you're going to get a student. And when you do, 3-1/2 - 4 days of all-day training is about the minimum required to teach the course. Also, you have to teach one of the Divemaster-conducted programs (Scuba Review, Discover Snorkeling, Discover Skin Diving) under the supervision of an instructor, and that also requires a real live student--which can sometimes be hard to get.

I'm right now teaching the divemaster course to the dive shop manager at the resort where I work (Little Cayman Beach Resort), and we're eagerly waiting on a bona fide student to show up for an open water course so that she can complete her internship requirement. We have no idea when that will be. Meantime, we have lots of ground to cover. I've been working with her for a couple of hours each day on a daily basis for two weeks now, and she has a long way to go.

Let me give you a complete rundown on the course requirements, so you can get an idea of what is involved.

1. There are 8 theory exams on the topics of Physics & Chemistry of Diving, Physiology, Dive Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Divemaster Conducted Programs, Supervising Certified Divers, Assisting with Student Divers in Training, and Decompression Theory and the RDP. Most of the material comes from the PADI "Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving", which is interesting reading but will take you a day or two.

2. There is a PADI Divemaster manual which you must read and then complete the knowledge reviews at the end of each chapter. I think there are 9 chapters.

[As a parenthetical remark, I remember doing this course myself and started work on (1) and (2) above on a Thursday afternoon. I crammed for about 16 hours a day and then took all the exams on the following Tuesday morning. I also had all of the knowledge reviews completed. My instructor was incredulous that I could have prepared myself in such short time.]

3. Prepare and submit a topographical map of a dive. (You may be able to do this in only one dive, but it took me 5 or 6 dives before I had enough data to draw a good map.)

4. Complete an emergency assistance plan.

5. Demonstrate the 20 basic skills taught in an open water course with "demonstration quality" presentation. This means showing each step in the skill clearly, doing so slowly and with exaggerated movements. Each skill is graded on a scale of 1-5, and you must get a total score of 60 on the whole set. Furthermore, you must get at least a 4 on the mask remove, replace, and clear skill.

6. With a buddy, go to the deep end of the pool and buddy breath. While buddy breathing, exchange your mask, snorkel, fins, weight belt, and scuba unit with your buddy.

7. Complete 4 timed endurance and stamina tests. You receive 1-5 points for each test, and you must get a total score of 12 points. They are:
(a) 400 yard freestyle swim (Beat 6 minutes for 5 points, 8 minutes for 4 points, 10 minutes for 3 points, or 12 minutes for 2 points.)
(b) 800 yard snorkel with fins (Beat 13 minutes for 5 points, 15 minutes for 4 points, 17 minutes for 3 points, or 19 minutes for 2 points.)
(c) 100 yard tired diver tow (Beat 2 minutes for 5 points, 3 minutes for 4 points, 4 minutes for 3 points, or 5 minutes for 2 points.)
(d) Tread water for 15 minutes, keeping your hands out of water for the last 2 minutes.

8. Assist with the 5 confined water sessions and the 4 open water sessions for a complete Open Water course.

9. Assit with an open water dive for any course above the Open Water Course.

10. Conduct one of the programs which a Divemaster is allowed to conduct (Discover Snorkeling, Discover Skin Diving, Scuba Review.

11. Lead a group of certified divers on an open water dive.

In addition to the above, you must show proof of 60 logged dives, have current CPR and first aid training, and show certification as PADI Rescue Diver or equivalent.

So do you see what I mean that 1 week at a resort is simply not reasonable for this course? I strongly suggest you contact your local dive shop and get going with them. If you can't find anybody close by, give Diver Dan's (in Santa Clara) a call and see if they can do anything on the weekends with you.

Bruce
Little Cayman

renpirate:
My wife and I are toying with the idea of getting our divemaster certification while on a trip to the Bahamas next summer. We will be in Nassau for a week and then on to freeport for another week. My questions are as follows:

Can the course be reasonably done in a week? In other words would it be too intensive to do in a week, as in 10 hr days for the whole week?

Does anyone have any recommnedations as to which shop to use?

Sorry, but there is no way one can become a competent DM in a week.

Thank you for the detailed feedback Bruce, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise. I had a feeling that was going to be the case. It makes much more sense to take our time and do it right. We will look into taking it through a LDS instead.

Having just completed my DM certification - awaiting PADI to look over all the paperwork, I would suggest doing it through your LDS.

Keep in mind this isn't like any other PADI course that you may have taken so far. It's the start of the professional side of diving and is much more difficult than other PADI certifications up to this point - at least it was for me!

You'll throughly enjoy it, but at times it can be tough, physically and mentally.

Harbour

Back
Top Bottom