PADI Divemaster without Advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My purely anecdotally-based speculation is that the two programs have a slight philosophical difference. PADI is all about "we can help the new diver overcome their inabilities/fears/incompetence and learn to dive." It's very similar to a K-12 education model. Fail on your first attempt, we'll give you more tries and remedial education until you're educated. NAUI gave me more of a "hey, that's ok, not everybody needs to be a diver" philosophy.
Several decades ago PADI adopted the mastery learning philosophy pioneered by Dr. Benjamin Bloom.

A quick summary of how mastery learning differs from traditional learning can be summed up this way. In traditional learning, time is the standard and learning is the variable; in mastery learning, learning is the standard and time is the variable. In standard learning, you teach for a specified period of time and then measure the result. If the student does not meet a standard, then the student fails. In mastery learning, you keep teaching and checking progress until the student meets the standard. It takes whatever time it takes.

To the friends of Emily, mostly @Trace Malinowski : It would be a shame if Emily were hurt. And I for one would be happy to do what it takes to make sure she stays survives dive training, include mouth-to-mouth as needed.
Somewhere, there is a real girl who posed for that photo, but alas, our Emily was created for some academic study regarding dating apps which means @boulderjohn has more of a chance of teaching her to dive than any of us because he comes to us from the world of academia.

Somewhere, there is a real girl who posed for that photo, but alas, our Emily was created for some academic study regarding dating apps which means @boulderjohn has more of a chance of teaching her to dive than any of us because he comes to us from the world of academia.
Ha, she reminds me of Heidi

That means none of us has a shot.

Ha, she reminds me of Heidi
You mean this Heidi?

TraceHeidi.jpg

No, they are referring to the Heidi that was the inspiration for the ScubaBoard group, Knights of Heidi.

Never heard of it. LOL!
Just as well.

The situation led to a lot of behind the scenes drama and anger of which the Knights of Heidi were no doubt unaware as ScubaBoard struggled to find its moral compass.

Why are people, that mostly live near cold water diving, so adamant about experience in all the different conditions, including wearing a Drysuit, gloves, hood, etc for every DM or Instructor??
I don’t care whether you have a dry suit diver card. I do think you should be required to get an ice diver card. But if you don’t want to wear a dry suit for that, it’s no skin off my nose!

Where did you get the 1.8 per million?

Remember the HSE will only include those under commercial training, like PADI and the oil & gas industries.

Deaths when divers are out doing their own thing doesn't fall under HSE jurisdiction. The BSAC Incident Reports do not give a deaths per x dives as we don't know the total number of dives undertaken in the UK annually.

The 1.8 deaths per million dives is mentioned in this 2017 paper: Epidemiology of morbidity and mortality in US and Canadian recreational scuba diving

Regarding HSE, you’re referring to legal jurisdiction over professional activity, but of course HSE’s mandate for inquiry and research goes further than that. For example, this 2010 DAN report is one example of HSE conducting research on recreational diving. The HSE states that diving is as safe as jogging and driving, with 163 deaths per million participants per year (pp. 7, 76-77). Sure, the data is old, but the long term trend has been for scuba to be getting safer, not more dangerous… Even though a lot of SBers complain about how things aren’t as good as back in the day when they were being chased around a pool by a retired Navy SEAL and everybody is dying because they haven’t done fundies and are unable to recite Henry’s Law at 60 metres.

Divers who train for OW in good conditions are only ever certified to perform a safe, relatively simple activity in those same conditions *unless* they have further training for tougher conditions or more complex diving. It’s important to look at OW diving as it is.

Back
Top Bottom