Ocean Reef Neptune NIRA mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We just recently purchased two masks and full communications with the surface unit for our team. We have had an initial try-out and they seem to be everything promised. Has anyone had any problems or issues with this company or products. Or tips and/or techniques that you find that increase their usefulness.

Fresh_Aire_Up_There:
We just recently purchased two masks and full communications with the surface unit for our team. We have had an initial try-out and they seem to be everything promised. Has anyone had any problems or issues with this company or products. Or tips and/or techniques that you find that increase their usefulness.

Most every one that I know has had nothing but bad experiences with that equipment. Do a search on here and you'll get some opinions and experiences. Did your team research the equipment and other options? Mostly what we see with that equipment is a sport dive shop with little or no experience in public safety diving, or full face mask for that matter, selling to a PSD team inappropriate equipment for the job.

This is just my personal opinion and you need to get what works for you and your team.

Personally I don’t like the Ocean Reef system for PSD work. It is more of a recreation unit. It scratches easy and has way too much clear plastic up front. Their solution was to add a second lens, which is just a Band-Aid. It is also a very bulky unit with a lot of weight way out front. I have dove it and it wasn’t that comfortable.

I much prefer the Aga which has been around sense Christ was a corporal. It has proven itself in the military, commercial world and PSD diving. A much better investment IMHO.

Gary D.

Thanks for the responses. We are still very early in the purchasing arena. We recently got the results from the SCUBA Lab testing and it was very positiive. However, we also understand what influences can be in that arena as well.

Fresh_Aire_Up_There:
Thanks for the responses. We are still very early in the purchasing arena. We recently got the results from the SCUBA Lab testing and it was very positiive. However, we also understand what influences can be in that arena as well.

I read the Scuba Lab "test". Didn't see any test there. What was written about the OR equipment was right out of their catalog. Of course, they will say nothing about the crappy hydrostatic issues with the regulator position, multiple adjustment requirements and just all around poor design.

Gary, you're right on with the AGA mask. There's just no comparison of the two pieces of equipment. The AGA is standard of the industry for good reason, it's just the best piece of equipment for the job.

I picked up a Neptune 2 FFM, and have not been pleased with it at all, from what i heard the AGA mask is the one to get

I had a chance to dive the aga in a DR-I class I took a few weeks ago and I have to say, it was awesome, very comfortable. The Neptune seems to bulky to me all that stuff hanging out in front of you. One thing I love about the aga is the ambient breathing valve, your safety diver can be fully suited mask on and not be burning his tank. Did not see that on the Neptune. I have a Cressi-sub FF now and if I had them money I would spring for an aga.

Well, I guess since we have just switched over from some old Kirby-Morgans, we are kind of excited. Ya know, like TANG to astronauts. I’m not sure of the units you guys seem to be describing. I seem to have struck a nerve by asking.

On our test dive, we were impressed with ease of movement, the ability to interchange and the way the mask fit, different than others. The straps are in a very comfortable web design that seems to make the mask feel like it is barely sitting on your face. The straps are also attached to the metal ring around the mask, rather than the rubber skirt, like the other manufacturers. This seems to allow the positive pressure seal to do its job, rather than being under the stress of the straps and causing leaks in the strap connection locations. The Neptune mask fit best and most comfortable when the straps were lightly tightened. I had little to no problems with the one hour plus dive, other than learning the breathing techniques as to the communications. I dive inverted a lot in our recoveries and this mask was a dream, as far as balance, communication, and fit in that position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom