Ocean Reef Neptune NIRA mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mask does have an ambient air valve and very clear communication (Diver to diver as well as to surface). As to the miscellaneous crap, I am not really sure what that might be. The regulator out front on the 2005 models did seem a bit “un-cool”, but the newest version has a much closer and stream-lined integration with a reduced cubic volume mask. The communications fit very close and there are no extra things hanging off, other than the hose and a very small tucked away cable from the mic to the transceiver. The field of vision is really nice, but actually took me some getting used to. Just not used to seeing that much in the peripheral under water. The 360 degree swivel and quick connect were nice (I know that can come on all of them). As we use them on actual and not simulated recoveries, I am sure issues are going to crop up.

I am taking your comments serious and will check out the AGAs more closely, but a neighboring agency is happy with theirs, but say there was nothing “out of the ballpark” about them. As with everybody, we have a limited Team on a limited budget and we are just now coming out of the Dive Team dark ages (rented, flea market, and discontinued equipment).

If you guys like them and if they work for you that's fine, you need to use what works for you. I have dove both and the OR was and is at the bottom of my choice list. Even with the closer reg design it has a much larger profile than the AGA and adding some of the options increase that profile rather than reduce it. IMHO it's not a good moving water or PSD choice.

Gary D.

I have a Neptune II and so far I just love it!

Neptune is cheaper than the AGA and you can do alot more with it.
Visibility witn my Neptune is better, I can see all around. I see there
is a new Neptune out that is lighter and the regulator is more compact.

I also have an AGA that I think is pretty awesome. the positive pressure
thing is nice with the AGA. Me I am working on getting some AGA or Neptunes
with comms for my project team.

Some people like one more than the other, just have to see what works
for you and your team.

Matt

Thanks, guys. Well, we aren't done yet. We have a long way to go, but we are trying to step out cautiously, so we get the best, safe, and useful products for the team. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Fresh_Aire_Up_There:
Thanks, guys. Well, we aren't done yet. We have a long way to go, but we are trying to step out cautiously, so we get the best, safe, and useful products for the team. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Fresh Aire:

I am not too familiar with the Ocean Reef product. I had purchased a personal AGA about 3 years ago and fell in love with it (particularly in cold water). We recently received grant money to procure 3 with comm units for the team's use.

What I urge you is no matter which mask you choose, insure that all aspects (donning, removal, replacement, flooding, etc.) are covered with the personnel before deployment. We are in the process of training our personnel on the AGA's before we put them into use. The mask and comm units will be a huge upgrade in safety. Make certain your members are fully comfortable with switching masks and regulators before using on calls.

Every individual is different and what works for one person may be uncomfortable for another. For example, I have been advised that my Dacor Rig Pro is a poor representation of a Back Plate and Wings and not suitable for PSD. But I love it. If it works for your team, then great for you.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom