Oceanic Atom 2 or VT3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the same boat, but not so much for readability, but for button access. To purchase a multi-tank computer and not be able to manipulate the buttons to change gases underwater seems backwards. I have the VT3 and love it. The ability to change from bottom gas to stages easily and track all the tanks and pressures is nice.

You're right about button access. I dive with 7mm suit and 5mm gloves. It's pretty hard to hit the small buttons with the gloves on.

Has anyone with either the Aeris or the Oceanic puter had problems with signal loss during a dive? I would also like to know if there are any instructors out there taking advantage of the capability to monitor students' dive computers and how it works for them.

Has anyone with either the Aeris or the Oceanic puter had problems with signal loss during a dive? I would also like to know if there are any instructors out there taking advantage of the capability to monitor students' dive computers and how it works for them.

I have used my VT3 for a year now and I have had no signal loss issues. When setting up my gear I can be a good meter or more away and still get a signal. I don't have any experience with the buddy link system, but other on here have said that you need to get too close to the buddy for it to be truly effective.

I have used both and definitely prefer the VT3. My eyesight is fine, but I tried the Atom and thought that it required too much effort to clearly monitor everything. The display is much nicer. I did not want to sacrifice my dive experience to have something to wear as a watch. Plus, if you want a watch I would recommend going to Wal-Mart or somewhere like that and picking something else up to use as a watch for $12.99.

As far as signal loss is concern... I lost it once with the original Atom, but the only time I lost the signal with the Atom2 or VT3 is when I had to run off to the bathroom after a dive. They both work very well and I am sure you would be happy with either.

As an instructor I tell my students to think about what it will be like to use certain gear with all their other gear. Down south where people don't wear gloves or only wear reef gloves, a watch-style computer would be great. Slim and easy to access all the buttons. Where I dive though, it means dry gloves and 5mm neoprene gloves, so puck-style computers tend to work better.

Also think about using a piece of equipment taking into account your other gear and you will rarely go wrong. Best of luck with either.

The Atom comes with a clear guard that slips over the band and covers the screen and the buttons.
This gives a bigger area over each button that can be pressed while protecting the computer
It actually makes it easier to press the buttons with or without gloves.

I still use my Versapro as a back up but love my Atom 2 for its small size and multigas capabilities. I have a second transmitter on my pony. Cant go wrong with this unit IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom