Oceanic Customer Service Gone Downhill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kroorda

Contributor
Reaction score
For years, I have used Oceanic gear, and have recommended it to others'. Above all, I have always told others' that when it comes to 'Customer Service' in the scuba industry, Oceanic is at the top of the list.

Unfortunately, in recent months, my opinion of Oceanic has changed - and now I really wonder if it could get any worse. At the first of 2011, I purchased a new Oceanic Bio-lite B.C., with an XS inflator/reguator. While lightweight, the BC has a lot of very appealing features and appears to be well constructed. A couple of months ago, I took it on it's first diving trip. It felt and worked great. BUT, one of my weights dropped out of a front weight pocket - even though the pocket was latched shut. I'm an experienced diver, and the weight was only 2 pounds. But, if the same thing would have happened to an inexperienced diver, and the lost weight was greater, it could have been a very serious problem. Additionally, I found that I could not dump air out of my BC by pulling down on the inflator hose. Upon getting back from my trip, I wrote a letter to let Oceanic know of the problems I encountered. I mailed the letter to them. Along with the letter, I sent a picture which showed them how easy it would be for a weight to unknowingly slip out of a latched weight pocket! After receiving NO reply from them, I then emailed Oceanic through their website. Again, NO reply at all. I then called them and spoke to Mike. Mike said that he didn't see how a weight could slip out of one of the pockets. I then told him that I mailed him a picture of the problem. Unfortunately though, he had never read my postal mail or email and never saw the picture. Nevertheless, he told me that he would mail me a replacement internal weight pocket - since mine had slipped out and was missing. Unfortunately, NO replacement weight pocket was ever sent to me! I also told Mike that I could not dump air out of the BC by pulling down the inflator hose. He told me that I needed to grab the knob that was in the middle of the hose and pull down on it. I then told him that the knob he is referring to lies under the velcro strap on the shoulder strap and it is not accessable. He suggestion then was, "Then just take the inflator hose out from under the strap." That's crazy! That's like a tire shop telling a customer not to drive over 40 mph since their tires do not perform well over 40mph!
The Biolite clearly has TWO problems: 1. One can lose their weights without even knowing it, and 2. One can not dump air out of the BC by pulling down the hose if it is PROPERLY STRAPPED DOWN.

Not only did Oceanic not respond to my postal or email, but they did not sent me a replacement weight pocket as they told me they would. Additionally, they have given me absolutely NO indication that they have addressed either of the problems that exist with their Biolite BC!

When Oceanic introduced the Datamasks in 2008, I was one of the first people to buy two of them. Unfortunately, after purchasing them, testing them, and TRYING to download them, I returned them. My greatest complaint was that it was nearly impossible to upload/download the computer as it was difficult to get the download cable/connector to connect and stay connected for a complete download. I called Oceanic about the problem and they kindly told me that they (in 2008) were aware of the problem and working on a solution. It's now 2011 and the Datamasks are NO different than they were in 2008. Obviously, Oceanic really doesn't care that much! Read this, and other forums about the difficulties that people have had downloading their dive computers and operating the Oceanic Oceanlog software, and it becomes very obvious that downloading a Oceanic dive computer is a trying experience for most people - even if you have purchased a top-of-the-line computer such as a Datamask, Pro Plus II, OC1. Users of the Oceanlog software have been complaining for years about how UNintuitive the software it. Yet, Oceanic/Palegic have little to change it or fix it. And, Oceanic will come right out and tell you that they don't put a lot of effort into 'downloading' because it's not something that a lot of people do, or use. (That's like a car manufacturer not putting much effort into Cruise Control - because most people don't use it.)!

Honestly, I really thought that Oceanic was/is a top notch company. But, now that I realize that they do not read emails, postal mail, and they do NOTHING about obvious problems that are brought to their attention., I could not recommend Oceanic/Aeris/Palegic to anyone.:thumbs_down:

I like Oceanic gear but your post does raise some concerns. Thnx for posting

Welcome to enlightenment.

Most of us that read these forums are aware that if you want to get technical support from Oceanic simple use your phone and call tech support directly. It's been well documented that email is ineffective and unless you use certified or return receipt snail mail you are unlikely to be satisfied.

As for Oceanlog the greater majority of it's users find it to be a highly functional product since version 2.2.1. Is it perfect probably not. Is it intuative? Even as a satisfied user I'd say no. I would suggest that the info it logs is a valuable set of technical data and the softeware allows the user to add a great deal of pertainant extra data such as gear, pictures, dive highlights and diving notes.
Some users of any software package will always have problems due to lack of understanding of the softeware and it's proper use or because of hardware or software conflicts. This isn't a problem that the publisher of the software can have total control over and to call it or attempt to make it into their problem or responsibility is unfair since it is often associated with other software or hardware choices built into the user's PC.

Then there is the final group of complainers those that make a choice to own Mac computers knowing that there is a gap in available software of about 900%. They then want to make their choice into someone elses problem and complain about the lack of a software version for their Mac.

My concern about requests for service is when are people going to be realistic in their request and expectations and stop badmouthing a company that tends to be a leader in the industry and one of the most responsive. Just drop a couple of coins and use a telephone!

I've used Oceanic computers and regs for nearly 5 years and have had dealings with tech support regarding my computers at least 3 times. Each time a call issued a RMA and the response was satisfactory with 10 days or less turn around. This is very good considering shipping out of state.

Let me suggest to anyone reading these forums that the complaints are from a minorty of users and that the majority are out diving.

.... and then there are the apologists for companies with bad service, who don't seem to be out diving.

Actually, If you took the time to read it carefully I took the time to apologize to a good company and it's satisfied customers for divers that don't have the sense to figure out that not all problems they encounter with a certain product is the fault of the product or company that produced it. Some problem are underlying problems based in hardware or software compatability or in a greater number of cases user error or lack of understanding of the product.

Well, I called into tech support today for my new OC1 to get some assistance about how to remove some of the links from the titanium band as the stock size is too large. I called 2 hours before closing so I probably caught them wrapping up for the day. Was told I'd get a call back from one of two people who's names I can't recall, although a timeframe was never mentioned.

I'll report back on how my experience goes...hopefully it's positive.

UPDATE: Since posting this thread, I did hear from Oceanic and they are working to resolve my concerns. Likewise, they have informed me that they are sending replacement parts to help address some of the BC problems I recently had.
Kent

And as always, Oceanic steps up and does everything they can to make it right.

I always recommend Oceanic and it's 100% due to their outstanding support. Same goes for Zeagle.

-Charles

I am not certain whether this post is relevant to the thread, and apologize if it isn't. Nevertheless, on the subject of customer service and dive equipment, I had the following experience with Genesis-Scuba. I called to get support for my ReactPro computer, which showed the 24 dives I recently made, but only transferred 4 dives (1, 2, 23, and 24) when I downloaded. I tried it on 3 separate computers, with identical results. I was told by Genesis to take it to a local dealer who would send it in and they would fix it free if under warranty. I neglected (my fault) to ask what happens if it is not under warranty. I dropped it off at a local dive shop (10 miles away). Drove to work and received a call from the LDS informing me that Genesis informed the dive shop that Genesis does not fix out of warranty computers, that they are like consumer electronics, and are considered disposable after 2 years. I drove back, picked up the computer, and am in the process of transferring the data manually. And that is why I am looking at a this thread regarding Oceanic customer service. I am considering the Datamax 2.1 computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom